Vipers Acquire Jarnell Stokes
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers announced today that they have acquired the returning player rights to Jarnell Stokes from Sioux Falls Skyforce. In exchange, RGV agreed to trade Jacobi Boykins and their 2020 NBA G League Draft 2nd Round Pick (via Wisconsin Herd). In addition, the Vipers agreed to trade the returning player rights to Kevin Hardy and the 2020 NBA G League Draft 3rd Round Pick to the Herd in exchange of the 2020 NBA G League Draft 2nd Round Pick. The trades are not subject to any player passing a physical.
Stokes (6-9, 250 lbs.) was recently competing in the Chinese Basketball Association with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers during the 2019-20 campaign. He has averaged 22.9 points, 11.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 19 appearances, two starts.
Prior to the Tigers, Stokes appeared for both the Memphis Hustle and Sioux Falls Skyforce during the 2018-19 season. Stokes appeared in six games, five starts, for the Skyforce as he averaged 15.2 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.5 blocks. While being with Memphis as a two-way player, he appeared in two games, one start, averaging 20.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists.
During the 2017 NBA Summer Leagues in Orlando and Las Vegas, Stokes eventually signed with the Zhejiang Chouzhou Golden Bulls of the CBA. With the Golden Bulls, he averaged 25 points and 13.9 rebounds in 28 appearances.
In 2015-16, Stokes averaged 20.6 points and 9.3 rebounds for Sioux Falls, winning the NBA G League MVP award while leading the Skyforce to their first championship. After averaging 21.1 points and 8.7 rebounds (shot 72.6% from the field) in seven playoff matchups, Stokes won the 2016 NBA G League Playoff MVP award as well. Stokes was also named All-NBA G League First Team.
Stokes was drafted fifth pick of the second round in the 2014 NBA Draft by the Utah Jazz but was drafted to the Grizzlies where he made his NBA debut. He appeared in 19 games, two starts, with Memphis during his rookie campaign. Stokes averaged 3.0 points and 1.8 rebounds in 6.6 minutes of action. During his stint with Memphis, he appeared in 23 games (14 starts) while on assignment with the Iowa Energy during the 2014-15 season. Stokes averaged 15.1 points and 11.3 rebounds per game.
Boykins appeared in 31 games (nine starts) for RGV this 2019-20 campaign. He averaged 13.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.1 steals in 26.1 minutes of play. Boykins was also a part of the 2018-19 Championship squad averaging 9.3 points, 2.9 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game.
The Vipers will face Santa Cruz Warriors on the road on Friday, February 28. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 27, 2020
- Wisconsin Sweeps Back-To-Back against Blue Coats - Wisconsin Herd
- Long Island Nets Fall to Erie in Hard-Fought Battle - Long Island Nets
- Red Claws Fall Short at Home - Maine Red Claws
- Wolves Acquire Returning Player Rights to Andrew Andrews in Trade with Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Acquire Returning Player Rights to Cam Oliver - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Michael Frazier, Xavier Johnson and Hakim Warrick - Delaware Blue Coats
- Legends Acquire Returning Player Rights to Cory Jefferson - Texas Legends
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jarrod Uthoff to 10-Day Contract - Memphis Hustle
- Swarm Unveil 'Buy One, Get One' Season Ticket Membership Plan for 2020-21 Season - Greensboro Swarm
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Daishon Smith - South Bay Lakers
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Player Rights to Rodney Purvis - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire South Bay Lakers 2020 Third Round Draft Pick - Agua Caliente Clippers
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Tyler Roberson - South Bay Lakers
- Skyforce Acquires Returning Player Rights to Ray McCallum from Agua Caliente - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Acquires Returning Rights to Alex Robinson in Trade with Santa Cruz - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Acquire Jarnell Stokes - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Jacobi Boykins, 2nd Round Pick from Vipers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Returning Player Rights to Kevin Hardy in Trade with Rio Grande Valley - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Trade Robinson to Wolves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Completes Trade with Mad Ants - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Mad Ants Acquire Kavell Bigby-Williams from Sioux Falls - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Drop to South Bay, 128-122 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Chase Away Vipers - Texas Legends
- South Bay Lakers Come out and Play in Win over Warriors - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Bounces Back at Suns - Oklahoma City Blue
- Balanced Blue Knock off NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.