South Bay Lakers Come out and Play in Win over Warriors
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers continued their strong play of late as they beat the Santa Cruz Warriors, 128-122, on Wednesday night. Pierre Jackson nearly tallied a triple-double for South Bay (16-22) with 25 points, nine rebounds, nine assists and two steals. Former Laker Zach Norvell Jr. paced the Warriors (19-18) with a career-high 34 points.
Norvell Jr. made the most of his first action against his former team, pouring in 13 points in the first quarter to lead the Warriors to a 34-23 advantage after one. South Bay's point guards helped them get back in the game by halftime, 65-61 as Javan Felix and David Stockton scored nine points apiece in the second quarter to get their team within striking distance.
South Bay inched closer in the third quarter and entered the final frame only down by three, 97-94, thanks to 14 third-quarter points from Jackson. The Lakers closed out the win in the fourth quarter, behind 13 combined points from Devontae Cacok and Jackson, as they won for the fifth time in the last six outings.
Norvell Jr.'s career night led the way for Santa Cruz, while Andrew Harrison finished with 22 points, five rebounds, six assists and two steals. Jeremy Pargo tallied 20 points with eight assists and Deyonta Davis ended the night with a 16-point, 11-rebound double-double. Ryan Taylor was the lone Warrior with double figures off the bench, finishing with 13 points.
Jackson did it all for South Bay, including a game-high 21 points in the second half, and Stockton also stuffed the stat sheet with 22 points, eight assists and four rebounds. Cacok tallied his 22nd double-double of the year with 16 points and 18 rebounds in 24 minutes off the bench, while Kostas Antetokounmpo finished with 10 points and 13 rebounds, good for his ninth double-double of the season. Talen Horton-Tucker scored 15 points, Felix had 13 points and Reggie Hearn rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points and seven rebounds.
South Bay returns to the floor on Saturday, February 29 at 5:00pm when they host the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 27, 2020
- Wisconsin Sweeps Back-To-Back against Blue Coats - Wisconsin Herd
- Long Island Nets Fall to Erie in Hard-Fought Battle - Long Island Nets
- Red Claws Fall Short at Home - Maine Red Claws
- Wolves Acquire Returning Player Rights to Andrew Andrews in Trade with Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Acquire Returning Player Rights to Cam Oliver - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Michael Frazier, Xavier Johnson and Hakim Warrick - Delaware Blue Coats
- Legends Acquire Returning Player Rights to Cory Jefferson - Texas Legends
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jarrod Uthoff to 10-Day Contract - Memphis Hustle
- Swarm Unveil 'Buy One, Get One' Season Ticket Membership Plan for 2020-21 Season - Greensboro Swarm
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Daishon Smith - South Bay Lakers
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Player Rights to Rodney Purvis - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire South Bay Lakers 2020 Third Round Draft Pick - Agua Caliente Clippers
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Tyler Roberson - South Bay Lakers
- Skyforce Acquires Returning Player Rights to Ray McCallum from Agua Caliente - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Acquires Returning Rights to Alex Robinson in Trade with Santa Cruz - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Acquire Jarnell Stokes - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Jacobi Boykins, 2nd Round Pick from Vipers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Returning Player Rights to Kevin Hardy in Trade with Rio Grande Valley - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Trade Robinson to Wolves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Completes Trade with Mad Ants - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Mad Ants Acquire Kavell Bigby-Williams from Sioux Falls - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Drop to South Bay, 128-122 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Chase Away Vipers - Texas Legends
- South Bay Lakers Come out and Play in Win over Warriors - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Bounces Back at Suns - Oklahoma City Blue
- Balanced Blue Knock off NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.