Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener
INDIANAPOLIS - Luis Escobar surrendered just one run on two hits in 5.1 innings pitched, but the Indians recorded just five hits offensively in a 2-0 loss to Buffalo on Tuesday night. The Tribe put two baserunners on with no outs in their final at-bat but came up empty against former Indy reliever Buddy Boshers.
Buffalo (28-34) handed the Tribe their fourth loss in the last six games thanks to two late runs against Escobar and rehabbing relief pitcher Chris Stratton. With the game locked at 0-0 into the sixth, Escobar (L, 1-1) departed with a runner on second and one away. Tyler Lyons couldn't retire Socrates Brito, who laced a run-scoring double to right field.
One inning later, Patrick Kivlehan - who was on Indy's Opening Day roster - exacted revenge against the Tribe with a 462-foot home run off Stratton to straightaway center.
Zach Jackson (W, 5-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings in relief of Bisons starter David Paulino. The Buffalo starter lasted four frames while striking out six.
Christian Kelley recorded his third extra-base hit in his last two games with a double that opened the third.
With the loss, Indianapolis (35-27) remained a half game back of Columbus in the IL West.
The Indians and Bisons continue their three-game set on Wednesday at 1:35 p.m. ET. The Tribe will send Cam Vieaux (1-0, 4.80) to the bump for his fourth career Triple-A start.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (40-34) vs. Louisville Bats (28-48)
- Keller Deals as Tribe Drop Bats, 3-1
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (39-34) vs. Louisville Bats (28-47)
- Indians Take Series in Pawtucket with 4-3 Comeback Victory
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-34) at Pawtucket Red Sox (31-42)