Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3
The Rochester Red Wings beat the Columbus Clippers 4-3 Tuesday night at Frontier Field - the eighth straight victory for the Wings. The teams meet again Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m., with former Bills star Mark Kelso signing autographs and another $1 Wednesday, with $1 Zweigle's hot dogs, peanuts, chips, and Cracker Jack.
Nick Gordon got things going early for the Red Wings in the bottom of the first against Clippers' starter Michael Peoples. He crushed his second home run of the year to give the Wings a 1-0 lead.
Columbus quickly responded in the top of the second against Wings' starter Devin Smeltzer. Eric Haase hit a two-run home run to take a 2-1 lead.
The Clippers extended their lead in the top of the third with a solo home run off the bat of Greg Allen to make it a 3-1 game.
Brent Rooker got the Wings back on the board in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI double, knocking in Jake Cave from first. Rooker's doubled extended his hitting streak to thirteen games. Later in the inning LaMonte Wade Jr. singled to right allowing Rooker to score from second to tie the game at three.
Smeltzer finished his outing during the fifth inning finishing with seven strikeouts and one walk, while allowing three earned runs. 52 of his 76 pitches were for strikes. Cody Stashak replaced Smeltzer in the sixth making his Triple-A debut.
Willians Astudillo gave the Wings the lead in the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run to left; his second with Rochester this season and gave the Wings a 4-3 lead.
Peoples finished the night throwing 6.1 innings, allowing eight hits, four earned runs, one walk, while striking out seven. He threw 94 pitches, 66 for strikes.
Stashak threw 2.0 scoreless innings with three strikeouts before Gabriel Moya entered the game in the top of the eighth and pitched a scoreless inning with one strikeout.
Fernando Romero closed out the game and pitched a scoreless ninth inning with two strikeouts.
Rochester out-hit Columbus 8-5.
Winning pitcher: Stashak (1-0)
Losing pitcher: Peoples (3-3)
Save: Romero (1)
NOTES: The last time the Red Wings won eight straight games was June 1-8, 2006...INF Drew Maggi came into the game ranking sixth in the International League with a .419 on-base percentage... RHP Cody Stashak made his Triple-A debut, pitching 2.0 scoreless innings and earning the win. He had previously pitched for Double-A Pensacola with a record of 2-3 with four saves and a 4.76 ERA... RHP Fernando Romero pitched a scoreless ninth earning his first professional save... INF Nick Gordon extended his hitting streak to 10 games with his home run in the first inning... OF LaMonte Wade J.r. extended his on-base streak to eight games with his single in the fourth inning.
Radio and Webcast information | MiLB.TV subscription information
THIS DAY IN RED WINGS HISTORY
1978 - The Red Wings scored one in the bottom of the seventh and two in the bottom of the ninth to earn a come from behind 7-5 victory against the Richmond Braves at Silver Stadium. Shortstop Jimmy Smith hit his first home run of the season during the victory.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.