Rally Comes up Short at Durham
DURHAM, N.C. - The Toledo Mud Hens scored three times in the final three innings but couldn't pull off the comeback in Tuesday's 5-4 loss to the Durham Bulls at DBAP.
It was the first meeting between both clubs since the 2018 International League Playoff Semifinals. Toledo falls to 6-14 against South Division opponents this season.
Victor Reyes, the reigning IL Batter of the Week, would bring Willi Castro home off a double to deep left field in the first inning.
It'd be the lone run and hit recorded prior to the fifth inning for the Mud Hens, who drop the first of a six-game road trip, after taking seven of their last nine at home.
In the fifth, Jacob Robson reached first on a line drive single to left and advanced to third on a throwing error with Pete Kozma at the plate.
Kozma returned to the lineup after being on the injured list the last seven days.
With runners at first and third and one out, the Bulls got both Daz Cameron and Daniel Pinero to fly out to end the threat.
Durham led 5-1 heading into the seventh on three home runs and a double.
Nate Lowe sent a liner over the right center wall in the first which scored Michael Brosseau.
Jake Smolinski registered a solo shot to right field in the second. He'd also round the bases two innings later when Dalton Kelly's fly ball cleared the glove of Cameron in center.
Durham tacked on its second solo homer in the sixth from Brendan McKay.
All five runs were off 2015 Detroit Tigers second-round pick Tyler Alexander (1-8, 7.26 ERA), who's taken the loss in six of his last seven starts, allowing seven hits, two walks while striking out six.
Arturo Reyes tossed 91 pitches through six innings for the win, surrendering two hits, two walks and the lone run in the first.
The Mud Hens managed to cut the deficit with Jake Rogers and Mikie Mahtook each picking up solo home runs and Castro singling to the shortstop that scored Robson.
Rogers and Mahtook notched their fourth and eighth homers this season, respectively, while Castro gets his 28th RBI, which is second-best among Mud Hens batters.
Tim Adleman (2-1, 3.03 ERA) is probable to start Wednedsay in the second game of a three-game series against the Bulls.
Opening pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. (EST).
Live coverage is available on MiLB.TV and Fox Sports 1230 WCWA-AM.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 1-for-5
6. RHP Beau Burrows : DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: 1-for-4, Walk, Run, RBI
12. C Jake Rogers : 1-for-3, Walk, Run, Home Run, RBI
16. OF Jacob Robson: 2-for-4, Run
18. RHP Bryan Garcia : 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
19. OF Danny Woodrow : DNP
22. RHP John Schreiber : DNP
25. LHP Gregory Soto : DNP
26. RHP Sandy Baez : DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall : DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson : DNP
- Reyes is the first Mud Hens players member to receive an IL weekly award through the early half of June. He made his Triple-A debut on April 4. This past week, the native of Venezuela lead the league in batting average (.485), hits (16), home runs (5), RBI (15), runs scored (11), total bases (35), and slugging percentage (1.061).
- Following Sunday's game, Toledo reliever Ethan DeCaster was transferred to Double-A Erie with the return of Kozma being the corresponding move. Beau Burrows and Sandy Baez both remain on the injured list.
- The Mud Hens entered Monday with a 7-3 record in the month of June. Through those 10 games include a three-game road sweep over West Division foe Columbus and a season-high four-game win streak.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.