Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk
NORFOLK, Va. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre beat the Norfolk Tides 4-1 on Tuesday night at Harbor Park. Drew Hutchison posted his third straight quality start as the RailRiders captured the series opener against the Tides.
The RailRiders opened the scoring against Tides starter Chandler Shepherd in the first, forcing the right-hander to throw 41 pitches. Shepherd allowed a leadoff single to Breyvic Valera and walked Mike Ford and Mike Tauchman to load the bases before walking Tyler Wade as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre strolled ahead 1-0.
In the third with one on, Kyle Higashioka drove the first pitch of his at bat off the videoboard in right-center for a 3-1 edge. It was Higashioka's ninth of the season and second in his last two games.
Norfolk ended Drew Hutchison's no-hit bid and shutout in the fourth. Hutchison didn't allow a hit over the first three and a third but surrendered three straight hits and a sac fly as the Tides cut the deficit to 3-1.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre added a run on a single, a walk and a wild pitch in the top of the fifth.
Hutchison (5-4) worked six innings, allowing the lone run on four hits with five strikeouts and three walks. Rex Brothers pitched a scoreless seventh and J.P. Feyereisen was perfect over the final two frames for his fourth save, striking out four of the six batters he faced. Brothers and Feyereisen combined to retire the final nine batters they faced to cap the game.
Shepherd (0-1) took the loss for the Tides after allowing all four runs over four and a third.
Valera had his second four-hit game to pace the RailRiders; his 15th multi-hit game out of 26 played.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Norfolk play the second of this three-game set on Wednesday evening at 7:05 p.m. Randall Delgado gets the call for the RailRiders against the Tides and Tyler Herb.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders erase late five-run deficit, but Rochester pulls out second straight win in final at-bat
- SWB Game Notes
- Red Wings hit three home runs, score six times over final three innings for win
- SWB Game Notes
- RailRiders top Durham Bulls as Logan Morrison ties franchise record