Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return
As the Bisons continue to get healthy, it's starting to show on the scoreboard.
Righty David Paulino started for the first time in over a month on Tuesday and threw four scoreless innings in a 2-0 shutout win over the Indians at Victory Field.
Buffalo's injured list has been crowded since the start of the season, but things have started to turn around recently. Shortstop Bo Bichette and pitchers Jon Harris and T.J. Zeuch have all been activated and sent to the low minors to get some work in since Friday.
That wasn't the case for Paulino, who went straight from the IL to the pitcher's mound on Tuesday in his first appearance with the Herd since April 30. The big righty retired 12 of the 15 batters he faced with six of the outs coming via strikeouts. He allowed just two hits, and after Indians catcher Christian Kelly led off the third inning with a double, Paulino responded by fanning the next three batters.
The game remained scoreless until Roemon Fields won a battle with Indians starter Luis Escobar to lead off the sixth. The veteran outfielder worked a 10-pitch walk from the righty and then proceeded to steal second base and score on Socrates Brito's double to left.
Patrick Kivlehan added the insurance an inning later with a monstrous solo shot beyond the deep centerfield wall at Victory Field. The blast was Kivlehan's ninth of the season and first against the team he opened the 2019 season with.
The combination of Zach Jackson, Justin Shafer and Buddy Boshers closed out the shutout with five innings of three-hit relief. Jackson worked a perfect fifth and sixth innings to improve to 5-0 on the year. Boshers allowed the first two batters to reach in the ninth, but retired the next three for his second save of the season.
The Bisons have now won four of five and will take on Indy again Wednesday evening at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Are You Ready? Huckaby Introduced as New Bisons Skipper
- Former Bisons Skipper Bobby Meacham Joins Phillies Staff
- Bisons' Rob Free Named Chairman of New York State Restaurant Association
- Murray, Conine Carry Changing Jays System
- Buffalo Bisons Praise Congressional Efforts to Save Minor League Baseball