Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1
ALLENTOWN, PA. - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (31-30), on the strength of four unearned runs, defeated the Gwinnett Stripers (35-28) by a 5-1 score Tuesday night in the first of the three game series at Coca-Cola Park.
Scoring Recap: The IronPigs plated four unearned runs in the top of the first off Gwinnett starting pitcher Bryse Wilson. An error by second baseman Andres Blanco on a ground ball opened the door for two-RBI singles later in the inning from Mitch Walding and Damek Tomscha. The Lehigh Valley lead climbed to 5-0 in the bottom of the eighth as Walding (9) hit a solo homer to left off Stripers reliever Rafael De Paula. The only Gwinnett run came in the top of the ninth as Ryan LaMarre stroked a two out RBI single to left, scoring Rafael Ortega. The Stripers went on to load the bases in the half inning, but would be unable to score again.
Stripers Stats: Wilson (L, 3-6) worked 3.0 innings with five hits, four unearned runs and seven strikeouts. Ben Rowen tossed 4.0 scoreless innings with one hit, one walk and three strikeouts. De Paula went 1.0 inning with one strikeout. At the plate, LaMarre was 2-for-4 with a double and one RBI.
IronPigs Stats: Enyel De Los Santos (W, 3-2) pitched 5.0 innings with two hits and six strikeouts to pick up the win. The bullpen of Luke Leftwich, Tom Windle, and Kyle Dohy combined for 3.0 scoreless innings with one hit. Yacksel Rios (S, 6) earned the save after recording the final out of the game. Offensively, Walding was 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs.
Postgame Notes: The Stripers have now lost three straight and fall to 2.5 games behind first place Durham in the International League South. The game marked the second time in two starts in which Wilson had given up four unearned runs in a game, the other coming on May 31 at Indianapolis. Ortega was 1-for-4 to up his hitting streak to eight games.
Next Game (Wednesday, June 12): Gwinnett at Lehigh Valley, 7:05 p.m. at Coca-Cola Park. LHP Kolby Allard (5-3, 4.15 ERA) will pitch for the Stripers vs. RHP Drew Anderson (0-5, 6.32 ERA) for the IronPigs. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020