Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls built an early lead and held off a late rally, defeating the Toledo Mud Hens 5-4 Tuesday night at the DBAP in the opener of a three-game set. Arturo Reyes (4-2) recorded the victory for the Bulls, while Tyler Alexander (1-8) suffered the loss for the Mud Hens.
First on the board were the Mud Hens, thanks to an RBI double by Victor Reyes to make it 1-0 in the first inning. However, the Bulls used the long ball to their advantage, immediately responding in the bottom of the first with a two-run home run by Nate Lowe to make it 2-1.
The Bulls kept adding on to the lead, beginning with a solo home run from Jake Smolinski to extend the lead to 3-1 in the second. Dalton Kelly drove in one more on an RBI double in the bottom of the fourth, and Brendan McKay hit a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth to extend the lead to 5-1.
However, the Mud Hens made a comeback attempt in the top of the seventh inning. Jake Rogers hit a solo home run to start the inning to make it 5-2. After loading the bases, the Mud Hens drove in a run on an infield single by Willi Castro to shrink the deficit to two. Despite the go-ahead run coming to the plate, Hunter Wood induced a key groundout to end the inning.
The trouble wasn't over for the Bulls, with a solo home run by Mikie Mahtook in the top of the eighth inning to make it 5-4. However, relievers Hoby Milner and Andrew Kittredge were able to shut the game down by getting the final five outs without issue.
The Bulls will play game two of the three-game series against the Mud Hens on Wednesday night at 7:05 at the DBAP. The game is part of a six-game homestand that features a visit from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Mets Offense Shines in 15-8 Victory over Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Rally Comes up Short at Durham - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Blanked by Buffalo in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Blank Indy, 2-0, in Paulino's Return - Buffalo Bisons
- Lehigh Valley Stifles Gwinnett, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Wild Slugfest to Mets 15-8 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Hot Wings Edge Clippers 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sturgeon, Tapia Lead PawSox to 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos strong in 5-1 win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Hutchison Helps RailRiders over Norfolk - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Fend off Mud Hens Rally - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Stratton Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-26) vs. Buffalo Bisons (27-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (26-36) at Louisville Bats (25-38) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 11-16 - Louisville Bats
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.