TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - The TinCaps would not be denied in their final road game of the season, riding stellar pitching all the way to a 1-0 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers affiliate) on a 75-degree and sunny Tuesday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
After the pitchers kept the game scoreless through the first four innings, the TinCaps (27-37, 60-72) scratched across the opening run in the fifth. Chris Givin doubled with one out in the inning and later came home to score on Jawuan Harris' two-out RBI single. Harris now has hits in eight straight games.
Efraín Contreras hurled five scoreless innings in his start, finishing his outing with a flourish by leaving the bases loaded in the fifth. In his last six outings (dating back to July 30), Contreras has posted an ERA of 2.03 with 23 strikeouts in 26.2 IP.
From there, the bullpen took over. Ramon Perez (2.0 IP), Dylan Coleman (0.2 IP) and Henry Henry (1.1 IP) combined to keep the Whitecaps (25-39, 47-86) off the scoreboard in the final four innings. It wasn't easy. The Whitecaps had the bases loaded with two outs in the eighth, but Henry came out of the bullpen to get the final out of the eighth and then worked a 1-2-3 ninth to lock down the victory.
Dwanya Williams-Sutton shined on both ends of the diamond on Tuesday night, reaching four times at the plate (two hits, a walk, and a hit by pitch) and robbing Parker Meadows of a potential home run with a leaping catch at the wall in the fourth. "DWS" raised his Midwest League-leading on-base percentage to .407.
Wednesday, August 28 vs. South Bend (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Cullen Dana
- Whitecaps Probable Starter: RHP Riley Thompson
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020
- Johnny TinCap Joins Fight against Breast Cancer, Teams with Rival