Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3
Eastlake, Ohio - The Lake County Captains scored two runs in the seventh inning and two more in the eighth to come from behind and defeat the Dayton Dragons 5-3 on Tuesday afternoon. With the win, the Captains took three-of-four in the series.
The Dragons built an early 2-0 lead in the second inning and still led 3-1 going to the bottom of the seventh before Lake County rallied to tie the game and then take the lead for the eventual win.
Dayton's Matt Lloyd belted a solo home run in the second to give the Dragons a 1-0 lead. It was Lloyd's second homer of the series and third with the Dragons. Jay Schuyler followed Lloyd's home run with a double, and Cameron Warren drove him in with a base hit to make it 2-0.
Lake County scored one run in the fourth to pull to within a run, but the Dragons responded with a run in the sixth to again lead by two. Michael Siani doubled to left, stole third, and scored on Claudio Finol's single to left to make it 3-1.
Dragons reliever Andy Fisher entered the game to get the final out in the fourth and then pitched scoreless innings in the fifth and sixth. But Fisher allowed two hits, a walk, and two runs in the seventh as Lake County tied the game. Eddy Demurias (3-4) replaced Fisher to start the eighth and surrendered three hits and two runs in the inning as Lake County built a 5-3 lead. The Dragons were retired in order in the ninth.
Dayton finished with seven hits. Finol was 2 for 4 with an RBI to lead the way. Juan Martinez was 0 for 4 as his hitting streak ended at 11 games.
Up Next: The Dragons (27-37, 55-79) travel to Midland, Michigan to open a three-game series with the Great Lakes Loons (35-28, 78-52) on Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Clate Schmidt (1-1, 2.51) will start for the Dragons.
The Dragons have three remaining home games in 2019. They are Saturday, August 31-Monday, September 2. For Dragons ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen