Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale
Davenport, IA - The Kane County Cougars put together a late rally to surprise the Quad Cities River Bandits 3-2 on Tuesday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The Cougars took three of the four games in the series and now are one win or a Wisconsin loss from clinching a playoff berth.
The River Bandits (34-30, 77-53) entered the ninth inning maintaining a 2-1 lead. Valente Bellozo began his fourth inning of work having allowed one run in his first 3.0 innings on the mound. Blaze Alexander started the ninth inning with a single down the third base line and that was followed immediately by an RBI double into the left field corner from off the bat of Kristian Robinson that tied the game at 2-2. Robinson advanced to third on the throw to plate and the go-ahead run was 90- feet away with no outs. Bellozo retired the next two hitters without the run scoring, but Brandon Leyton stroked a single into right to put the Cougars on top for good.
The Bandits recorded a pair of two-out singles in the bottom of the ninth to chase Kenny Hernandez from the game and force Kane County (41-23, 74-56) to bring in Kai-Wei Lin out of the bullpen. Lin struck out Carlos Machado with the tying run on second base to earn his sixth save.
The River Bandits had opened the scoring with two runs in the fourth inning against Cougars starter Matt Tabor. Wilyer Abreu opened the frame with a double and moved to third base on a throwing error by Blaze Alexander. Trey Dawson followed by blasting a double to left center that rolled all the way to the wall and scored both runs.
Kane County first chipped away at the lead with a single run in the eighth. Dominic Fletcher doubled home Brandon Leyton to put the Cougars on the board and leave runners at second and third with just one out. Bellozo worked his way out of that jam with a groundout and deep fly ball to right field that was hauled in by Machado.
Quad Cities starting pitcher Jose Bravo was dominant on the mound over 5.0 scoreless innings. He struck out a career-high nine batters while allowing just one hit. Bellozo took the loss after allowing three runs in 4.0 innings.
The teams combined for 13 hits in the contest. Fletcher had two for Kane County and Abreu tallied a pair for the River Bandits.
The River Bandits will begin their final road series of the regular season on Wednesday night in Cedar Rapids against the Kernels. First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m. The Bandits will throw RHP Brett Daniels (7-6, 2.23) against Cedar Rapids RHP Matt Canterino (1-1, 1.80).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park