Comeback Captains Win Third Straight
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (32-32, 72-61) came from behind to beat the Dayton Dragons (27-37, 55-79) on Tuesday at Classic Park. The Captains won their third straight game, scoring two runs in the seventh and two in the eighth to beat the Dragons, 5-3, and win the four-game series.
Dayton took a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Matt Lloyd connected on a solo home run to right field and Jay Schuyler followed with a double. Cameron Warren came up next and sliced a ball into the right field corner. Schuyler scored, but George Valera scored Warren out at second.
The Captains got a run back in the fourth. Raynel Delgado led off with a double and was balked over to third base. A ground out by Miguel Jerez later in the inning brought Delgado home to cut the Dragons' lead to 2-1.
Dayton got an insurance run in the sixth. Michael Siani led off with a double and then swiped second base. Claudio Finol pulled a line drive into left field that scored Siani to stretch Dayton's lead to 3-1. The Captains caught a break later in the inning, however. Mariel Bautista doubled down the right field line and Finol initially stopped at third base, then restarted and took off for the plate. Shortstop Daniel Schneemann threw him out at home and the Captains escaped the inning trailing by just two runs.
Jose Fermin came up big for Lake County in the seventh to tie the game. Josh Rolette worked a one-out walk against left-hander Andy Fisher and Clark Scolamiero followed with a single. Fermin came up next and punched a line drive down the right field line. Rolette and Scolamiero scored, as the ball bounced into the right field corner, and Fermin raced around to third with a game-tying, two-run triple.
The Captains climbed in front in the eighth. With reliever Eddy Demurias in the ballgame for Dayton, Jonathan Engelmann slammed a double to right-centerfield. Schneemann followed and laced a line drive over the head of Finol at shortstop. Engelmann tore around third and beat the wide throw home from Schuyler in left to give the Captains a 4-3 lead. Two batters later, Rolette rocked a double to left-center and Schneemann scored to push the Captains' advantage to 5-3.
Zach Draper won the game for the Captains in relief. Draper (8-4) pitched five innings in relief of Shane McCarthy and held Dayton to one run on three hits. The lefty struck out six and walked one. McCarthy allowed two runs on four hits across four innings. The starter struck out five and walked one, though he did not factor in the decision.
Demurias (3-4) suffered the loss for Dayton. The right-hander pitched one inning and gave up two runs on three hits with no walks and no strikeouts.
After capturing the series win over Dayton, the Captains go to Kentucky for their final road trip of the regular season. Lake County takes on the Bowling Green Hot Rods for a three-game series that begins on Wednesday. First pitch at Bowling Green Ballpark is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. ET.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Former Indians Pitcher Charles Nagy to be Featured Guest at Captains 2020 Hot Stove Dinner
- Captains Promote Jen Yorko to General Manager; John Klein and Tim O'Brien Promoted to Assistant General Manager Roles
- Free Post-Season Events at Classic Park
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three