Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities
Davenport, Iowa - Runs in six different innings and the combination of Luis Frias and Jackson Goddard powered the Kane County Cougars (75-57, 40-23) to an 8-1 win over the Quad Cities River Bandits (77-52, 34-29) on Monday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The Cougars magic number to clinch a playoff spot shrunk to three games.
The River Bandits scored their only run of the night in the bottom of the first inning on Trey Dawson's RBI single. After that, the Cougars ripped off eight unanswered runs. After back-to-back singles in the top of the second by Kristian Robinson and Tra Holmes, Quad Cities pitcher R.J. Freure tossed an errant pick off throw that allowed Robinson to score and tie the game.
The Cougars scored in the third when Zack Shannon bounced into a double play. Nick Dalesandro had an RBI single in the fourth to make it 3-1. Brandon Leyton and Keshawn Lynch each collected RBIs in the top of the sixth. Blaze Alexander and Dominic Fletcher run-scoring singles capped the scoring for the Cougars.
Luis Frias (3-1) had a bounce-back outing with five innings of one-run ball in a win. Frias' result came just five days after allowing seven runs in 1+ innings. Jackson Goddard (1) earned his first professional save with four shutout innings and five strikeouts. R.J. Freure (5-6) took the loss, allowing fuve runs (four earned) in 5.1 innings.
The Cougars and River Bandits play game four of the four-game series on Tuesday night at 6:35. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season