LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances
CLINTON, IA - The Clinton LumberKings jumped to a 5-0 lead and added a big insurance run when they needed it on Tuesday night at NelsonCorp Field to defeat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 6-5. The loss, the third straight in the four-game series for Wisconsin, dropped the Timber Rattlers playoff chances to almost zero.
Clinton (74-60 overall, 40-24 second half) took a big lead on one swing of the bat in the bottom of the second inning. Wisconsin starter Luis Contreras allowed a single and walked a batter to start the inning. He got a strikeout, but hit the next batter to load the bases. Then, Marcos Rivera cracked a grand slam to left and the LumberKings were up 4-0.
Antonio Piñero started the Wisconsin half of inning number three with a double and Thomas Dillard drew a walk with two outs, but the Rattlers could not score in the third.
The LumberKings rallied with two outs to add a run in the fourth. Samuel Castro reached on a bunt single and stole second. Christopher Torres drove a 3-2 pitch to right for a run-scoring single and a 5-0 lead.
Korry Howell got the Rattlers (66-67, 35-29) on the scoreboard in the top of the fifth inning with a two-out, solo home run. Howell's second home run of the season pulled Wisconsin to within 5-1.
The Rattlers got even closer in the top of the sixth inning. Dillard started the inning with a walk and David Fry followed with a single. Jesús Lujano was next and he doubled to left to score both runners. Lujano took third on a wild pitch and scored on an RBI grounder by Pablo Abreu.
Wisconsin had runners on the corners with one out later in the inning, but could not even the score.
In the seventh, Connor McVey singled to start the inning and Fry singled with one out and the Rattlers had the tying and lead runs on base, but they could not cash in the opportunity.
Davis Bradshaw started the Clinton half of the seventh inning with a single. Wisconsin reliever Jake Cousins got ahead of Peyton Burdick with two quick strikes, but threw three consecutive wild pitches to allow Bradshaw to make his way around the bases for an insurance run.
That would be costly for Wisconsin.
Piñero gave the Rattlers hope with a two-out solo home run in the top of the eighth inning. Then, Howell singled and stole second to get into scoring position with the tying run, but he was left stranded when Clinton closer Zach Wolf entered the game to get a strikeout to end the eighth.
In the ninth, Wolf retired the Rattlers in order to close out the game and pick up his fourteenth save of the season.
Wisconsin stranded nine runners and went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position in the game.
In the other game involving a team battling for a Western Division playoff spot, division-leading Kane County rallied from a 2-0 deficit with a run in the eighth and two in the ninth to win 3-2 at Quad Cities. The Rattlers have fallen to five games behind Clinton and six games behind Kane County with six games remaining in the regular season.
The Timber Rattlers return to Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium to host the Kane County Cougars. Game one of the three-game series is Wednesday night. Freisis Adames (3-2, 3.78) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Kane County has named Michel Gelabert (3-2, 3.06) as their starter. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm.
The first 500 fans to attend this game will receive a magnet featuring former Timber Rattlers pitcher Freddy Peralta courtesy of Lamers Bus Lines. This is magnet number four in a series of four that have been given away this season.
Fans are encouraged to bring Peanut Butter and Jelly donations for the PB&J Drive for Feeding America that is being held by the Timber Rattlers and Old National Bank.
Everyone may enjoy Cher-Make Hot dogs and 16-ounce Pepsi products for $1. There are also 16-ounce domestic beers available for $2 to those of legal drinking age. These specials are part of the Wednesday night Bang for Your Buck with Y100.
If you can't make it out to the ballpark, the radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:45pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 000 013 010 - 5 10 0
CLN 040 100 10x - 6 10 0
Korry Howell (2nd, 0 on in 5th inning off Tanner Andrews, 2 out)
Antonio Piñero (3rd, 0 in in 8th inning off Manuel Rodriguez, 2 out)
Marcos Rivera (8th, Grand Slam, in 2nd inning off Luis Contreras, 1 out)
WP: Tanner Andrews (8-4)
LP: Luis Contreras (2-3)
SAVE: Zach Wolf (14)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale