Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback
Davenport, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars (76-57, 41-23) scored three runs in the final two innings to beat the Quad Cities River Bandits (77-53, 34-30) 3-2 on Tuesday night at Modern Woodmen Park. With a win tomorrow night at Wisconsin, the Cougars will clinch a playoff berth.
The River Bandits scratched across two runs in the fourth. Wilyer Abreu led off with a double. Austin Dennis reached on an error to put runners at first and third with no one out. Two batters later, Trey Dawson doubled home both runners to make it 2-0.
The Cougars were held scoreless for the first seven innings. In the eighth, Brandon Leyton was hit by a pitch and Keshawn Lynch walked with one out. Dominic Fletcher followed with a run-scoring double to cut the deficit to 2-1. In the ninth, Blaze Alexander began the inning with a single. Kristian Robinson doubled to tie the game, 2-2. Brandon Leyton provided the go-ahead single with two outs.
All three Cougar runs came against Valente Bellozo (0-1) who suffered the loss after four innings on the mound. Kenny Hernandez (7-3) pitched from the fifth inning until there were two outs in the ninth without allowing a run to earn the win. Kai-Wei Lin (6) recorded the final out, a strikeout, to seal the game and earn the save.
Game one of the Cougars' three-game series in Wisconsin begins Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season