TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (26-37, 59-72) @ West Michigan Whitecaps (25-38, 46-86)
RHP EfraÃn Contreras vs. LHP Robert Klinchock
Tuesday, Aug. 27 - Fifth Third Ballpark (Comstock Park, Mich.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 132 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps beat the TinCaps 6-4 in the rain.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris is on a 7-game hitting streak and an 11-game on-base streak. Over the last 7 games, Harris is 10-for-26 (.385) with 3 doubles, a triple, a homer, and 3 RBIs. Harris' OBP for those 7 games is .484... For the season, he ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. Harris ranks 9th in the MWL in BB% (14.1%).
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.401)... He also leads the league in HBP (29), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record; it's never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Williams-Sutton ranks 4th in the MWL in BB% (14.7%)... His wRC+ of 129 is 4th in the league among active players.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano made SportsCenter last Monday for a behind-the-back flip to second base for a force-out against Bowling Green. It was No. 4 on Top 10 Plays. (That same night West Michigan center fielder Riley Greene had a diving catch at No. 6.)... Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% in the MWL at 9%. He has the 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4%). With 33 walks against only 45 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.73) ranks 6th.
HOT CURRY: Left fielder/DH Michael Curry has been one of the best hitters in the league since Memorial Day Weekend. In 67 games since May 26, Curry's .873 OPS ranks 3rd in the MWL. His .311 AVG ranks 2nd, .401 OBP is also 3rd, his .472 SLG is 5th.
JUST INFORMATION: Over his last 31 games (since July 21), infielder Justin Lopez has slashed .300/.344/.450 (.794 OPS) with 9 doubles, 3 homers, and 18 RBIs... Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 4 teens in the MWL with 11 home runs this year. The others are Lansing catcher Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Blue Jays prospect, Burlington infielder Kevin Maitan, the No. 24 Angels prospect, and Naylor.
RUIZ BATTED IN: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz, 19, ranks 12th in the MWL in RBIs with 55. The only teenagers in the league with more are No. 5 Indians prospect Bo Naylor and No. 6 Cubs prospect Cole Roederer. Ruiz is also 13th in the league in doubles with 23.
SKEND IT IN: Since he debuted for the TinCaps on July 14, third baseman Ethan Skender is tied for 9th in the MWL in RBIs with 24. His .298 average ranks 13th.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.11).
BEST IN THE MIDWEST: On Friday the Midwest League announced Joey Cantillo as the Left-Handed Pitcher of the Year and Xavier Edwards as the Second Baseman of the Year. Both have been promoted by the Padres to High-A Lake Elsinore... In a Baseball America survey of league managers, Cantillo was voted to have the "Best Changeup," Edwards was elected "Best Defensive Second Baseman," and Justin Lopez won "Best Infield Arm."
â€¢ Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Chiefs Fall in Cedar Rapids, Return Home for Final Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Magic Number Down to One - Clinton LumberKings
- Nuts Draw 12 Walks in 12-9 Loss to Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars on Brink of Playoffs After Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Steer Sends Kernels to 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Shocks River Bandits in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Staff Stretch No-Hitter into 10th for 1-0 Victory - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Slam Rattlers Playoff Chances - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers No-Hit In Third Walk-Off Loss In A Row - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Finish Road Swing With a Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Tuesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Comeback Captains Win Third Straight - Lake County Captains
- Captains Come from Behind to Top Dragons, 5-3 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 27 at West Michigan (Game 132) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Release 2020 MWL Schedule - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Free Wall Calendar Giveaway at Parkview Field as TinCaps Release 2020 Schedule - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Offense Steady, Pitching Lockdown in Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Throw One Away in 6-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Sweep Cubs in Doubleheader 4-3, 7-2 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.