Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will host a 2020 Leagues Cup match at Providence Park against a yet to be determined Liga MX team on Tuesday, July 21 or Wednesday, July 22, it was announced today as Major League Soccer and Liga MX unveiled the competition's full tournament schedule. Leagues Cup, sanctioned by CONCACAF, is an annual competition between clubs from MLS and Liga MX.
"This is a very important tournament for the Timbers and MLS and we look forward to playing host to what will be one of the better sides in Liga MX," said Gavin Wilkinson, Timbers general manager and president of soccer. "It gives us a tremendous opportunity to play a meaningful match against top-end competition in front of our fans and is the first step towards a deepening MLS relationship with Liga MX."
The expanded 2020 edition of the competition will feature eight clubs from each league in a single-elimination tournament consisting of three rounds (Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final). Similar to the 2019 edition, all matches between MLS and Liga MX clubs will be played in the home market of the MLS team. In the event of a same-league matchup in the later stages of the tournament, the inter-MLS games will be hosted at the MLS market of the higher-seeded team. Matches featuring two Liga MX teams, as well as the Leagues Cup Final, will be played in a neutral US-based venue to be announced.
Additionally, the 2020 edition of the tournament will feature a draw to determine the matchups between clubs from both leagues ahead of the Round of 16. MLS and Liga MX teams will be seeded and drawn to ensure the most competitive matches, with a second draw ahead of the Quarterfinals, to guarantee the most amount of interleague play. Seeding for the 2020 MLS Leagues Cup participants is as follows:
MLS 1: Philadelphia Union
MLS 2: Real Salt Lake
MLS 3: Minnesota United FC
MLS 4: LA Galaxy
MLS 5: Toronto FC
MLS 6: D.C. United
MLS 7: Portland Timbers
MLS 8: NY Red Bulls
The seeding order for Liga MX teams is as follows:
LMX 1: CampeÃ³n de Campeones Champion
LMX 2: CampeÃ³n de Campeones Runner-Up
LMX 3: Copa MX Champion
LMX 4-8: Top ranked Liga MX teams from the combined Apertura 2019 and Clausura 2020 tournaments
Confirmed Liga MX teams will be announced at the conclusion of the current 2020 Clausura tournament in late May, along with details of the draw and competition matters.
The 2020 edition of the competition marks Portland's inaugural appearance in the Leagues Cup. Portland qualified to the tournament by virtue of being one of the top-four Western Conference teams in the 2019 MLS regular season that is not participating in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League (Seattle Sounders FC, Los Angeles FC, New York City FC, Atlanta United FC) or the 2020 Campeones Cup (Seattle Sounders FC).
Following the conclusion of the Round of 16 matches, the Quarterfinals are slated for Aug. 4-5, and the Semifinals later that month on Aug. 25-26. The 2020 Leagues Cup Final will be played on Wednesday, Sept. 16.
In its second edition, the tournament will be broadcast on the Univision and ESPN family of networks in the United States.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire Future MLS SuperDraft Pick from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for T2 Forward Ryan Sierakowski
- Portland Timbers Ask for Assist to Stop COVID-19
- Timbers Group F Schedule Set for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Timbers Sign Defender Zac McGraw
- Timbers Acquire Defender Pablo Bonilla