2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July
CHESTER, PA - Philadelphia Union today announced their match dates for the 2020 Leagues Cup, the annual competition between the two top soccer leagues in North America. This will be the second edition of the Leagues Cup and the Union's first appearance in the competition. After last year's playoff run, Philadelphia earned the top MLS seed in the Leagues Cup and will host a Round of 16 matchup on either July 21 or 22. This will be an expanded edition of the Leagues Cup, featuring eight clubs from MLS and eight from Liga MX. The Quarterfinals are slated for August 4-5, and the Semifinals later that month on August 25-26. The Leagues Cup Final is on Wednesday, September 16.
Leagues Cup 2020
Round of 16: July 21-22
Quarterfinals: August 4-5
Semifinals: August 25-26
Final: September 16
As previously announced after last year's successful debut of the competition, the 2020 edition of Leagues Cup will feature an extended field of teams. MLS clubs qualified for the tournament by their performances in the 2019 MLS regular season, excluding the four clubs participating in the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League. The participating LIGA MX clubs will qualify through sustained performances across the 2019-20 Apertura and Clausura seasons - specifically the Apertura 2019 and Clausura 2020 Champions, the Champion of Copa MX, and the following five top-ranked teams in the combined 2019-20 table. As of today, the Apertura 2019 Champion, CF Monterrey, is the first team to qualify from LIGA MX for Leagues Cup 2020.
"Our close collaboration with LIGA MX continues to grow, and the expanded Leagues Cup will take it to a new level," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "When we started our partnership with LIGA MX two years ago, we knew that we had the opportunity to create something unique and special for soccer fans. Leagues Cup is a perfect example of how we are working together to grow the sport in North America."
"The first edition of Leagues Cup was hugely satisfying. It was a tournament that gave us many stories to tell, that helped us get closer to our fans in the United States, and that gave us a spectacular Final in Las Vegas. And of course, we're proud that Cruz Azul was the first Champion," said Enrique Bonilla, LIGA MX Executive President. "The future of Leagues Cup will be even more special, not only because eight more teams will participate in this edition, but also because the rivalry between the leagues is growing, which in turn will create more emotion and higher expectations for fans in Canada, Mexico, and the United States."
"We are thrilled that last season's success has put Philadelphia Union in position to be the top seed from MLS in the 2020 Leagues Cup," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "As our club continues to progress, we welcome the opportunity to challenge ourselves against some of the best Liga MX has to offer. We believe this will be an exciting competition that can highlight the quality of soccer being played in Philadelphia and across North America."
New for the 2020 edition of the tournament will be the inclusion of a draw to determine the matchups between clubs from both leagues ahead of the Round of 16. MLS and LIGA MX teams will be seeded and drawn to ensure the most competitive matches, with a second draw ahead of the Quarterfinals, to guarantee the most amount of interleague play. Seeding for the 2020 MLS Leagues Cup participants is as follows:
MLS 1: Philadelphia Union
MLS 2: Real Salt Lake
MLS 3: Minnesota United FC
MLS 4: LA Galaxy
MLS 5: Toronto FC
MLS 6: D.C. United
MLS 7: Portland Timbers
MLS 8: NY Red Bulls
The seeding order for LIGA MX teams is as follows:
LMX 1: CampeÃ³n de Campeones Champion
LMX 2: CampeÃ³n de Campeones Runner-Up
LMX 3: Copa MX Champion
LMX 4-8: Top ranked Liga MX teams from the combined Apertura 2019 and Clausura 2020 tournaments
Confirmed LIGA MX teams will be announced at the conclusion of the current 2020 Clausura tournament, along with details of the draw and competition matters.
Similar to the 2019 edition, all matches between MLS and LIGA MX clubs will be played in the home market of the MLS team. In the event of a same-league matchup in the later stages of the tournament, the inter-MLS games will be hosted at the MLS market of the higher-seeded team. Matches featuring two LIGA MX teams, as well as the Leagues Cup Final, will be played in a neutral US-based venue to be announced.
Each participating MLS club will announce ticket information in the coming weeks. Fans interested in attending matches should sign up at www.LeaguesCup.com to receive more information on tickets when it becomes available.
The tournament will be broadcast on the Univision and ESPN family of networks in the United States, TSN and TVA in Canada, and Televisa in Mexico.
Leagues Cup 2020 Dates
Times TBD / * Subject to change
July 21-22 - Round of 16
Philadelphia Union vs. LIGA MX TBD (Subaru Park, Chester, PA)
Real Salt Lake vs. LIGA MX TBD (Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, UT)
Minnesota United FC vs. LIGA MX TBD (Allianz Field, St. Paul, MN)
LA Galaxy vs. LIGA MX TBD (Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, CA)
Toronto FC vs. LIGA MX TBD (BMO Field, Toronto, Canada)
D.C. United vs. LIGA MX TBD (Audi Field, Washington D.C.)
Portland Timbers vs. LIGA MX TBD (Providence Park, Portland, OR)
New York Red Bulls vs. LIGA MX TBD (Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ)
August 4-5 - Quarterfinals
Quarterfinal 1 - TBD vs. TBD
Quarterfinal 2 - TBD vs. TBD
Quarterfinal 3 - TBD vs. TBD
Quarterfinal 4 - TBD vs. TBD
August 25-26 - Semifinals
Semifinal 1 - TBD vs. TBD
Semifinal 2 - TBD vs. TBD
Wednesday, September 16
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Joins ALL IN Challenge
- Philadelphia Union & Philadelphia Union Foundation Launch "FIGHT FOR SMALL BUSINESSÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign
- Philadelphia Union Return to Individual Workouts
- Philadelphia Union & American Red Cross Host Blood Drive at Subaru Park
- Philadelphia Union and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local Covid-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites