Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress
It is undeniably true that the results of preseason fixtures don't actually matter. The points don't start being calculated until February 29. That's when we reach, in Luiz Muzzi's words, the "real matches."
But it doesn't hurt to win them either.
Orlando City is making a habit of that this month. The Lions have taken five of the six friendlies they've played to date, including wins over the Montreal Impact, the Tampa Bay Rowdies, and reigning Icelandic champions KR Reykjavik, whom Orlando calmly dispatched 3-1 on Tuesday night.
Former Manchester United star Nani has been in particularly good form. The Portuguese hero has scored four goals this preseason, including a first-half brace against Reykjavik. Head coach Oscar Pareja knows he needs the captain in top form in 2020.
"It is great to have Luis Nani on the scoreboard," said Pareja after Tuesday's match. "He knows how important it is for our team that his presence and his talent get him in those moments where we need him the most."
Nani led Orlando City in both goals (12) and assists (10) last season, the first player in club history to do so. He also started against Atletico Madrid in the MLS All-Star Game at Exploria Stadium and broke the club record for total goal contributions in a single season.
"I think we are in a good position to have a good start, to show we've been working hard," Nani said to assembled media on Thursday. "I think everyone is very confident with the team...We just need to be ourselves, be confident, and try to do our best."
Much attention has been paid to Pareja's defensive accomplishments at FC Dallas, where his sturdy backline propelled him to a Supporters' Shield/US Open Cup double in 2016, but the team has worked tirelessly to improve offensively, as well. Pareja not only wants to see Orlando City on the ball more often, but in a way that has an impact.
"My idea of possession is to have a practical possession, a possession that is helping us to unorganize a team," he said. "It has an objective, not a 'possess the ball to possess it,' I think that's wasting time. I see the team creating sequences with the ball with a purpose, and I sense it. I know they're doing something to unorganize the other team and I enjoy those moments. We want to get into the spaces where we put our players in a position that can hurt the other team, be able to make ruptures and break their lines, and create opportunities to score goals. That's the game."
Orlando were able to accomplish this comfortably in Tuesday night's open scrimmage, putting three goals past Reykjavik in a first half where the Lions largely dictated the game. Nani attributes the preseason success to a sense of togetherness in the group.
"We are more a team than individual players," said the captain. "Everyone knows we have fantastic players in our team, a lot of quality, but as a team we had to improve a lot of stuff. Now we are a little bit better, because the main focus was to prepare the team to perform better as a team. We can see in the game [that] the results have been fantastic. I hope we can continue to perform like that."
Not long now until we find out.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- MLS Sets New Date for Orlando City SC's Match Against Columbus
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History
- Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History with 1-1 Draw at New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent: New York Red Bulls
- Storylines: City vs. Red Bulls