Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has signed midfielder Miguel Ibarra. The 29-year-old comes to Seattle following eight professional seasons, including the previous three with Minnesota United FC in MLS. Ibarra is eligible for selection for Thursday's Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League match at CD Olimpia (7:00 p.m. PT / FS2).
"We are excited to welcome an experienced and versatile player like Miguel to the squad," said General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "His skillset gives us another good option in the attack as we prepare to start the 2020 campaign."
Ibarra has 11 goals and 14 assists in 84 MLS appearances (67 starts) since Minnesota entered the league in 2017, including a career-high seven goals and eight assists in 2018. He began his professional career with the Loons in the NASL ranks in 2012, and was named NASL Best XI in 2013 and 2014, in addition to winning the league's Golden Ball award for best player in 2014. Between his stints with Minnesota in NASL and MLS, he was transferred to Liga MX side Club LeÃ³n, where he spent a little over one season. In October 2014, Ibarra became the first lower-division player to be called up to the U.S. Men's National Team since 2005, making his debut as a late-game substitute against Honduras. In all, he has three caps and one start for the USMNT.
Following Thursday's first leg at CD Olimpia, Brian Schmetzer's club travels home to Seattle for the return leg on February 27 (7:00 p.m. PT / FS2). The Rave Green begin MLS regular season action on Sunday, March 1 vs. Chicago Fire FC at CenturyLink Field (12:00 p.m. PT / ESPN, 950 KJR AM).
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC signs midfielder Miguel Ibarra on February 20, 2020.
Name: Miguel Ibarra
Born: March 15, 1990 in Lancaster, California
Hometown: Lancaster, California
Citizenship: United States
College: UC Irvine
Acquired: Signed by Sounders FC on February 20, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Opens MLS Is Back Tournament with Scoreless Draw against San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC and JOEtv to Produce Live Post-Match Show During MLS Is Back Tournament
- Schedule Changes for Sounders FC Announced in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth