Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC
PORTLAND, Ore. - Playing the second of three preseason matches as part of the Timbers Preseason Tournament, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky, at Providence Park, the Portland Timbers fell 4-2 to Minnesota United FC on Wednesday night. Dairon Asprilla and Ken Krolicki both scored their second goals of the 2020 preseason in the loss to Minnesota.
Wednesday's match marked the fifth match of the 2020 preseason for the Timbers, with the club playing its first three matches in Costa Rica. In total, 22 players appeared in Wednesday's match for the Timbers. Carlos Anguiano, Blake Bodily, Gio Calixtro and Max Ornstil each made their 2020 preseason debuts for the Timbers. Notably, five current or former Portland Timbers Academy players saw action for the club against Minnesota (Anguiano, Calixtro, Bodily, Marco Farfan, Tega Ikoba).
Asprilla has tallied five career goals in preseason matches for the Timbers, including two in the 2020 preseason. Krolicki, who scored against Minnesota, has now scored two goals this preseason for the club. With the loss, Portland's record stands at 4-1-0 in its 2020 preseason campaign, outscoring its opponents 12-7.
POR - Dairon Asprilla (TomÃ¡s Conechny), 29th minute: Receiving the ball down the near the left edge of the box, Asprilla cut in onto his right foot and fired a powerful shot into the upper left corner of the net.
MIN - Raheem Edwards (Mason Toye, ThomÃ¡s ChacÃ³n), 35th minute: Running down the left side of the penalty area, Mason Toye cut the ball back to Raheem Edwards, who fired his shot into the roof of the net from close range.
MIN - Raheem Edwards (Mason Toye), 54th minute - Delivering a lofted ball to the back post, Toye found Edwards, whose bouncing header from inside the six-yard box snuck just inside the right post.
MIN - ThomÃ¡s ChacÃ³n, 63rd minute - Timbers goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic parried a shot away to his right, but the rebound fell to ChacÃ³n on the edge of the six-yard box and he rolled his left-footed shot into the lower corner of the goal.
MIN - Luis Amarilla, 74th minute - After Ivacic made an initial save on Ethan Finlay's shot from just inside the penalty area, the rebound fell to Luis Amarilla, who tapped the ball in from close range.
POR - Ken Krolicki, 85th minute: A loose ball fell to the feet of Krolicki, whose one-timed shot from the edge of the 18-yard box was rifled just inside the right post.
Up next, Portland closes out the Timbers Preseason Tournament, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky, against the New England Revolution on Saturday, Feb. 22, at Providence Park; kickoff is set for 5 p.m. (Pacific).
2020 Preseason, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky
Portland Timbers vs. Minnesota United FC (MLS Preseason)
Feb. 19, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 1 1 2
Minnesota United FC 1 3 4
POR: Asprilla (Conechny), 29
MIN: Edwards (Toye, ChacÃ³n), 35
MIN: Edwards (Toye), 54
MIN: Chacon, 63
MIN: Amarilla, 74
POR: Krolicki, 85
POR: GK Clark (Ivacic, 45); D Bonilla (Epps, 61), D Duvall (Ornstil, 75), D Cascante (Trialist 1, 75), D Farfan (Trialist 2, 75); M Polo (Anguiano, 75), M Zambrano (Krolicki, 75), M Conechny (Ikoba, 75), M Williamson (Calixtro, 75), M Asprilla © (Bodily, 75), F Ebobisse (Sierakowski, 45)
MIN: GK Ranjitsingh, D Batista (Metanire, 70), D Musa (Boxall, 70), D Opara © (Kallman, 45), D Hairston (Booth, 45), M Dotson (Gregus, 70), M Hayes (Alonso, 70), M Edwards (Molino, 70), M ChacÃ³n (Gasper, 70), M Schoenfeld (Amarilla, 70), F Toye (Finlay, 70)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park