Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact
Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, San José, Costa Rica
MTL - Okwonkwo 12'
MTL - Quioto (Bojan) 22'
SAP - Venegas (Rodriguez) 80'
SAP - Martinez (Bolanos) 90'
SAP - Torres 43'
MTL - Corrales 85'
MTL - GK-Clément Diop; D-Jorge Corrales, Jukka Raitala, Rudy Camacho (Joel Waterman 17'), Rod Fanni, Zachary Brault-Guillard; M-Amar Sejdic, Samuel Piette; F-Romell Quioto (Ballou Tabla 71'), Bojan, Orji Okwonkwo (Maximiliano Urruti 28')
Subs not used - Evan Bush, Shamit Shome, Saphir TaÃ¯der, Anthony Jackson-Hamel
SAP - GK-Aaron Cruz; D-Yostin Salinas (Michael Barrantes 46'), Roy Miller, Aubrey David; M-Christian Bolanos, David Guzman (Ariel Rodriguez 66'), Marvin Angulo, Ricardo Blanco, Mariano Torres; F-Johan Venegas, Manfred Ugalde (Jonathan Martinez 77')
Subs not used - Alejandro Gomez, Jean Carlo Aguero, Esteban Rodriguez, Walter Cortes
POST-GAME COMMENTS: https://mlssoccer.box.com/s/0bik4wb3dcd4w456p9b9uk8mguiumejv
Thierry Henry - Head coach
"I'm more than satisfied with the result. It's not a bad result and it was a good fight. Unfortunately we lost players at the beginning of the game and we had to adjust. They also adjusted to us in the second half. With the quality they have in midfield, the way they were putting the ball inside and the way they were passing the ball in the second half, they were making us run and it became difficult. We played the first half very well and they played a very good second half. There are things we need to work on but at the end of the day, when you see your team fighting like this until the end, you can only be proud. Nothing is decided yet, with the second leg to be played at home next Wednesday."
Jukka Raitala - Defender
"We played well in the first half, but the second half was difficult. Leading by two at halftime gave us a lot of confidence, but they were very strong returning from the break. They caused a lot of problems, and I think we both could've scored more in the second half. At the end, 2-2 is a fair result. I'm proud with the way we fought today."
Samuel Piette - Midfielder
"We fought until the end. It's our first game together in conditions like these. We knew it was a tough atmosphere to play in. If you're win 2-0 after the first half, you get confident. It's too bad we allowed two goals in the end, but if you told me before the game we would get a 2-2 result, I would have taken it. It is still disappointing to allow goals like that though."
Clément Diop - Goalkeeper
"I think if you would've told us before the game that we'd score two away goals and tie the game, we would have taken it. It's a good result, with the second leg taking place in Montreal. We had incredible support from our fans tonight. I was surprised to see them and it warmed my heart to see they made the trip. They helped us hold on in the last moments. Now, we need to recover well for the return leg in Montreal."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Impact Stories
- Montreal Impact Foundation Teams up with Conquer COVID-19 and Donnez La Protection to Get PPE to Healthcare Workers
- Players Will Have Access to Centre Nutrilait for Individual Training
- Midfielder Steeven Saba Suffers Broken Left Foot
- First Confirmed Case of Covid-19 in Club Entourage
- Montreal Impact Statement