Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly
PORTLAND, OR - Vancouver Whitecaps FC defeated New England Revolution 2-0 in a preseason friendly at Providence Park on Wednesday evening behind goals from new marquee striker Lucas Cavallini and left back Ali Adnan.
Both goals came in the second half to break the match open, with Cavallini scoring for the third consecutive preseason match, and Adnan figuring in the scoresheet once again after tallying an assist last Sunday against Portland Timbers. Fredy Montero was involved in each of the 'Caps goals on the evening, setting up Cavallini and drawing the foul that led to Adnan's superb direct free kick.
Right from the start, Vancouver controlled the match, dominating possession and pressing well when they lost the ball.
After sustained pressure in the first half, the 'Caps looked like they had made a breakthrough in the 34th minute when the referee called for a penalty after a tackle on Cristian Dajome. Dajome was put through with a backheel flick from Tosaint Ricketts after a quick give-and-go between the two forwards. Unfortunately for Vancouver, the Video Assistant Referee overturned the call.
After seven changes to begin the second half, the 'Caps continued to play on the front foot.
The breakthrough finally came in the 68th minute when Montero's tricky footwork and lovely weighted cross was controlled on the chest perfectly by Cavallini and then expertly finished.
Minutes after, New England got forward with purpose for the first time in the match but in his first preseason start, new 'Caps goalkeeper Bryan Meredith stood firm to deny New England's Canadian youngster Tajon Buchanan.
In the 72nd minute, Montero won a free kick in the perfect spot for an attempt on goal.
And what an attempt it was. Another second-half sub, Adnan hit a beautiful, curling free kick right into the bottom corner.
After Vancouver's two goals in quick succession all but finished the match, the 'Caps defended well and held the Revolution at arm's length for the final 15 minutes.
Whitecaps FC round out their preseason slate against Minnesota United FC at Providence Park on Saturday, February 22. A live stream will again be available to most of British Columbia and Portland's regional broadcast territory, as per MLS guidelines, at whitecapsfc.com.
For ticket information to the February 29 season opener at BC Place, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
Referee: Ramy Touchan
68' - Lucas Cavallini (Fredy Montero, David MilinkoviÄ)
71' - Ali Adnan
Shots: NE 9 - VAN 7
Shots on Goal: NE 2 - VAN 3
Saves: NE 1 - VAN 2
Offsides: NE 1 - VAN 2
Corners: NE 2 - VAN 4
36' - VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome
39' - NE - Tajon Buchanan
64' - VAN - Ali Adnan
69' - VAN - David MilinkoviÄ
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Bryan Meredith; 28.Jake Nerwinski (56.Georges Mukumbilwa HT), 15.Andy Rose (13.Derek Cornelius 63'), 20.Jasser Khmiri (25.Amer ÄidiÄ 39'), 3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez (53.Ali Adnan 63'); 6.Inbeom Hwang (35.Aboubacar Sissoko HT), 32.Patrick Metcalfe (31.Russell Teibert HT); 11.Cristian DÃ¡jome (14.Theo Bair HT), 29.Yordy Reyna (12.Fredy Montero HT), 27.Ryan Raposo (7.David MilinkoviÄ HT); 87.Tosaint Ricketts (9.Lucas Cavallini HT)
New England Revolution
18.Brad Knighton (25.Jeff Caldwell HT); 40.Simon Lekressner, 13.Michael Mancienne, 4.Henry Kessler (2.Andrew Farrell 60'), 16.Seth Sinovic; 17.Tajon Buchanan, 11.Kelyn Rowe (10.Teal Bunbury 60'), 6.Scott Caldwell (29.Nicolas Firmino 78'), 14.Diego Fagundez (27.Luis Caicedo 60'); 72.Damian Rivera (5.Isaac Angking 60'), 12.Justin Rennicks
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Welcome Irish Club Beechwood FC to Live Skills Clinic Presented by Canadian Tire Jumpstart
- Whitecaps FC to Begin Voluntary Individual Workouts
- Whitecaps FC Live Skills Clinics Welcome Clubs Across Canada and Abroad
- Whitecaps FC Forward Yordy Reyna Enters 14-Day Quarantine After Breaking Physical Distancing Protocols
- Whitecaps FC Unveil Frontline Heroes Artwork Fundraising Campaign by Local Artist Carson Ting to Help Greater Vancouver Food Bank