Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired Serbian midfielder Luka StojanoviÄ via transfer from Serbian Superliga club FK ÄukariÄki. StojanoviÄ will be added to the Fire's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa. He is under contract with the Fire through the 2021 season with a Club option for the 2022 season.
"Luka is a highly intelligent player with experience from competitive leagues in Europe," said Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky. "In addition, he is a very versatile player who can create and score goals for the team. We are very excited to have Luka on our roster going into the 2020 season."
StojanoviÄ, 26, joins the Fire with 186 professional appearances across all competitions since making his debut in 2012. The midfielder comes to Chicago after spending the past three seasons in the top division in Serbia with FK ÄukariÄki. During his time with ÄukariÄki, StojanoviÄ made 73 appearances, including four appearances in the 2019-20 UEFA Europa League, and scored 23 goals across all competitions. During the last two seasons with ÄukariÄki, StojanoviÄ has produced double-digit goals across all competitions, tallying 11 goals in 2018-19 and 12 goals in 25 appearances in 2019-20.
StojanoviÄ originally began his professional career in Portugal with Sporting CP's reserve team in 2012 at just 18-years-old. After tallying 22 appearances in two years with Sporting CP B, StojanoviÄ signed with Greek first division club Apollon Limassol FC, where he scored 10 goals in 57 appearances across two seasons. Additionally, in his final season with the club, StojanoviÄ helped lead Apollon to first place in the 2015-16 Cypriot Cup.
Following his time in Greece, StojanoviÄ joined Royal Excel Mouscron in the Belgian first division. In two seasons with Mouscron, the midfielder made 30 appearances, including six in the UEFA Europa League Playoffs, and scored four goals. StojanoviÄ then spent part of the 2017-18 season on loan with Royal Antwerp FC in Belgium, before permanently joining ÄukariÄki.
StojanoviÄ will occupy an international slot on Chicago's 2020 roster.
The Fire will kick off the 2020 MLS season on the road versus reigning MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders FC on March 1 at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN). Chicago will officially make its homecoming to Soldier Field on Saturday, March 21 when the team hosts Atlanta United FC in its 2020 home opener at 2:30 p.m. CT (Univision).
Single-match tickets for the Fire's 2020 home opener are available now by calling 888-MLS-FIRE or by visiting ChicagoFireFC.com. Additionally, fans can reserve a seat at all 17 Fire home matches for as low as $15 per game with the purchase of a season-long ticket package.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires midfielder Luka StojanoviÄ via transfer from Serbian Superliga club FK ÄukariÄki
Name: Luka StojanoviÄ (Sto-yah-no-vich)
Weight: 183 lbs.
Date of Birth: January 4, 1994
Hometown: Belgrade, DFR Yugoslavia
Birthplace: Belgrade, DFR Yugoslavia
Last Club: FK ÄukariÄki
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 14-20
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 7-13
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution