Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract
The Colorado Rapids announced today the signing of 17-year-old goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to a Homegrown Player contract.
"Abe has been turning heads since he made his debut in the USL Championship last year as a 16-year-old," said PÃ¡draig Smith, Colorado Rapids EVP & General Manager. "We knew how talented he was from his time in the academy and his performances at the USL level, and the level of maturity he has already shown in his young professional career gives us the confidence that he has the ability to develop into a top-class goalkeeper."
A product of the Rapids Youth Academy, Rodriguez spent last season in the USL Championship with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. The shot-stopper made 16 appearances for the Rapids' USL affiliate, earning immediate accolades as the USL Championship Player of the Week for his debut performance as a then-16-year-old. At the end of the season, Rodriguez was named to the USL 20 Under 20 List.
A press event to officially unveil Rodriguez as a Rapids Homegrown Player will be announced at a later date.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign Abraham Rodriguez as a Homegrown Player on February 20, 2020.
Birthdate: July 19, 2002
Birthplace: Thornton, Colorado
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2020
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress - Orlando City SC
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City - Chicago Fire
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Midfielder - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF Faces Tampa Bay Rowdies in Last Preseason Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Serbian Midfielder Luka Stojanovic - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Waives Forward JJ Williams - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign 17-Year-Old Goalkeeper Abraham Rodriguez to Homegrown Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami Squad Numbers for Inaugural 2020 Season Announced - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati and FC Cincinnati Foundation Release 2019 Community Report & Unveil 2020 Initiatives - FC Cincinnati
- Montreal Impact Launches 2020 Marketing Campaign - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Caesars Entertainment Announce Partnership - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls to Compete in 2020 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake to Compete in Leagues Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Real Salt Lake
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - Minnesota United FC
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July, with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better - MLS
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Miguel Ibarra - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Siem De Jong - FC Cincinnati
- Two Inter Miami CF Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Inter Miami CF
- ADVISORY: Nashville SC Hosts First Open Training Session - Nashville SC
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Ends First Preseason with Draw against D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Match Report: Deportivo Saprissa 2-2 Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 24, 2020
- Homegrowns Cole Bassett, Sam Vines Leading the Way for Colorado
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested