Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg
SAN PEDRO SULA, Honduras - In their first leg tie of the Round of 16 in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL), the Portland Timbers recorded two road goals in a 2-2 draw against C.D. Marathón at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, Honduras on Tuesday night. Felipe Mora tallied his first goal of the 2021 campaign, while Josecarlos Van Rankin tallied an assist in his Timbers debut.
Portland In The Concacaf Champions League
With the draw, the Timbers improved to 5-2-2 in nine all-time appearances in SCCL play. With the result in Honduras, the Timbers are undefeated in their last two (1-0-1) SCCL road matches dating back to 2-1 win over C.D. Dragón in San Salvador, El Salvador on Sept. 27, 2016.
Timbers At Providence Park In SCCL Play
In five Champions League contests held at Providence Park, the Timbers are undefeated with a 4-0-1 record, outscoring their opponents 17-5. Portland will have a week off before hosting the second-leg match of the Round of 16 against C.D. Marathón on Tuesday, April 13 at 5 p.m. (Pacific).
Three players made their debut for the Timbers in the draw against C.D. Marathón. Josecarlos Van Rankin tallied an assist in his first career start for the club, logging 90 minutes of action. Claudio Bravo started and played 76 minutes in his debut, while Ismaila Jome came on as a second-half substitute in stoppage time. Additionally, nine Timbers players made their CCL debuts, including Dairon Asprilla, Pablo Bonilla, Bravo, Steve Clark, Larrys Mabiala, Marvin LorÃa, Mora, Cristhian Paredes and Eryk Williamson.
POR - Felipe Mora (Josecarlos Van Rankin), 35th minute: Van Rankin dribbled down the left side of the penalty area and delivered a floating cross to Mora, who controlled down the ball and fired a low, hard shot into the bottom left corner of the net.
CDM - Brayan Castillo (Solano), 39th minute: A cross from the left side of the penalty area found Brayan Castillo, who knocked the ball in from inside the six-yard box.
POR - Own goal (Torres), 59th minute: From about 30 yards away from goal, Diego Valeri's looping free kick was tipped onto the crossbar, but the ball ricocheted into the goal off C.D. Marathón goalkeeper Denovan Torres' head.
CDM - Marlon Ramirez (Arriaga), 68th minute: Marlon Ramirez cut inside from the right wing and fired a shot that squeezed just inside the far post.
Portland improved to 5-2-2 in nine all-time appearances in SCCL play.
Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese has managed the club to a 51-34-26 record in 111 games played across all competitions dating back to the 2018 campaign.
Defender Larrys Mabiala made his 100th appearance across all competitions for the Timbers, starting and playing 90 minutes against Marathón.
Midfielder Diego Chara made his fifth career appearance (5 starts) in SCCL play.
Midfielder Diego Valeri made his fifth career appearance (4 starts) in SCCL play.
Defender Josecarlos Van Rankin tallied his first career assist as a member of the Timbers.
Forward Felipe Mora tallied his first goal of the 2021 campaign, and his eighth career goal in 25 appearances across all competitions for Portland.
Midfielder Eryk Williamson led all players in the match with seven fouls committed.
Midfielder Dairon Asprilla made his 117th career appearance (60 starts) across all competitions for the Timbers against Marathón.
Defender Ismaila "Ish" Jome made his debut for the Timbers, coming on as a second-half substitute.
The Timbers will resume their Concacaf Champions League campaign on Tuesday, April 13, playing host to C.D. Marathón at Providence Park in the second leg of the Round of 16 on Tuesday, April 13 at 5 p.m. (Pacific). The April 13 match will feature a national television broadcast on FS1.
Portland Timbers vs. C.D. Marathón - 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Round of 16 (Leg 1)
April 6, 2021 - Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano (San Pedro Sula, Honduras)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 1 1 2
C.D. Marathón 1 1 2
POR: Mora (Van Rankin), 35
CDM: Castillo (Solano), 39
POR: Own goal (Torres), 59
CDM: RamÃrez (Arriaga), 68
POR: Williamson (caution), 77
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo (Bonilla, 76), M D. Chara, M Williamson (Paredes, 88), M Y. Chara (LorÃa, 76), M D. Valeri ©, M Asprilla, F Mora (Jome, 90+2)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Attinella, D Tuiloma, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (Valeri, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 ; FOULS: 18 (Williamson, 7); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
CDM: GK Torres, D Perdomo, D GarcÃa (RamÃrez, 64), D Techera, D Vega, M Suazo (Crisanto, 46), M Arriaga, M Izaguirre, M Solano (Guevara, 83), F Castillo, F Hoyos (Calix, 46)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Villanueva, M Motiño, F Palermo
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Techera, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 ; FOULS: 15 (Four players tied, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 3
Referee: César Arturo Ramos Palazuelos
Assistant Referees: Alberto MorÃn Méndez, Michel Alejandro Morales Morales
4th Official: Oscar MacÃas Romo
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2021
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Defeat OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids' Next Preseason Test Comes Wednesday vs Galaxy in Visit Tucson Sun Cup - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas and Estrella Media Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language TV Broadcast Partnership - FC Dallas
- Vertiv Teams up with Columbus Crew SC as a Founding Partner and Supplier of Data Center Infrastructure for New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Launches "Since '96" Throwback Apparel Collection - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America - Los Angeles FC
- Retro-Inspired New England Revolution Clothing Line Unveiled in Major League Soccer's Since '96 Collection - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United's Kickoff Time against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 1 Changed to 11 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer - LA Galaxy
- Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Featured in Major League Soccer's "Since '96" Collection with Nostalgic Apparel Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Launches Since '96 Retro Collection - MLS
- Up Next: Week Five of Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Jonathan Sirois and Sean Rea Loaned to Valour FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership - Austin FC
- CF Montreal Acquires Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 at Providence Park
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastián Blanco Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 24
- Timbers Register 1-0 Shutout Road Win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC