Houston Dynamo FC Defeat OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC earned their fifth victory of the preseason earlier today after defeating OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium. The Dynamo improve to 5-0-0 overall this preseason and 2-0-0 in the La Copita preseason tournament.
Dynamo Academy alum Memo Rodriguez gave Houston the lead in the 11th minute with a shot from distance. The midfielder's right-footed effort beat the OKC goalkeeper low to the near post from 25 yards. It was Rodriguez' fourth goal of the preseason.
Forward Mateo Bajamich doubled Houston's lead in the 42nd minute with a long-range effort, his first goal in Orange. The Argentine dribbled down the right flank before letting loose with a right-footed blast from outside the penalty area that beat the Energy goalkeeper at the far post.
The Dynamo earned the first corner kick of the game seconds into the start of the match, but OKC Energy cleared the ball to spark a counterattack. Dynamo goalkeeper Michael Nelson made the first of his five saves on the day and kept the game scoreless in the second minute. The Dynamo shot stopper was called into action again in the eighth minute and made a save at the near post.
Academy player Jathan Juarez, 18, earned his first start for the Dynamo this preseason and he was joined by Homegrown Player Juan Castilla, 16. The pair were joined by defender Ian Hoffmann, 19, as the youngest players to start the game for the Dynamo. Academy alum Danny Rios, who just turned 17, and current Academy player Kieran Sargeant, 17, came on as a second-half substitute to continue the youth movement on the day.
Houston had two close calls in the second half beginning with a cross from forward Darwin Quintero that bounced away from forward Christian Ramirez at the far post. Later, winger Tyler Pasher dribbled through the Energy backline and found forward Ariel Lassister, but the defense recovered to clear the ball at the edge of the six-yard box.
The Dynamo host FC Dallas at 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 10 in the La Copita finale at BBVA Stadium. That will mark the end of their preseason slate and the team will turn its attention to its 2021 season opener on Friday, April 16 when they host the San Jose Earthquakes at BBVA Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2021
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Defeat OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids' Next Preseason Test Comes Wednesday vs Galaxy in Visit Tucson Sun Cup - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas and Estrella Media Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language TV Broadcast Partnership - FC Dallas
- Vertiv Teams up with Columbus Crew SC as a Founding Partner and Supplier of Data Center Infrastructure for New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Launches "Since '96" Throwback Apparel Collection - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America - Los Angeles FC
- Retro-Inspired New England Revolution Clothing Line Unveiled in Major League Soccer's Since '96 Collection - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United's Kickoff Time against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 1 Changed to 11 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer - LA Galaxy
- Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Featured in Major League Soccer's "Since '96" Collection with Nostalgic Apparel Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Launches Since '96 Retro Collection - MLS
- Up Next: Week Five of Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Jonathan Sirois and Sean Rea Loaned to Valour FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership - Austin FC
- CF Montreal Acquires Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in San Jose
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 0-0 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip against Vancouver Whitecaps
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Announce Multi-Phase Renovations of BBVA Stadium
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Statement on Jamey Rootes