Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration
VANCOUVER, BC - Major League Soccer announced a retro-inspired apparel collaboration on Tuesday with global fashion licensees Mitchell & Ness, the nation's leading nostalgia company, and New Era. Included in the throwback collection is 90s inspired Vancouver 86ers apparel.
The Since '96 collection is a celebration of the clubs that laid the foundation for the league's growth. While MLS began play in 1996, the 86ers were keeping professional soccer alive in Vancouver and carrying on the legacy of the club that plays in MLS today.
"We are really excited to be working with the league, Mitchell & Ness, and New Era to be reintroducing this part of our history," said Mikkel Strojer, Whitecaps FC vice-president of brand & fan engagement. "We are very proud of our club's tradition and we know that our fans are too."
Following the Canadian Soccer League (CSL) folding in 1992, the 86ers continued playing in the American Professional Soccer League (APSL) with a new black and red look. The 86ers would play eight seasons in the APSL (later A-League) during the 90s before returning to the Whitecaps name in 2000, and then joining MLS in 2011.
"I'm thrilled to see the 86ers celebrated in this collection," added Carl Valentine, Whitecaps FC club ambassador and legend. "As both a player and coach during the 90s, seeing these brings back a lot of fond memories at Swangard Stadium."
The collection is now available at the 'Caps Official Store in Gastown and online at whitecapsfc.com/shop. For more information go to whitecapsfc.com/86ers.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2021
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Defeat OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids' Next Preseason Test Comes Wednesday vs Galaxy in Visit Tucson Sun Cup - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas and Estrella Media Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language TV Broadcast Partnership - FC Dallas
- Vertiv Teams up with Columbus Crew SC as a Founding Partner and Supplier of Data Center Infrastructure for New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Launches "Since '96" Throwback Apparel Collection - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America - Los Angeles FC
- Retro-Inspired New England Revolution Clothing Line Unveiled in Major League Soccer's Since '96 Collection - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United's Kickoff Time against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 1 Changed to 11 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer - LA Galaxy
- Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Featured in Major League Soccer's "Since '96" Collection with Nostalgic Apparel Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Launches Since '96 Retro Collection - MLS
- Up Next: Week Five of Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Jonathan Sirois and Sean Rea Loaned to Valour FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership - Austin FC
- CF Montreal Acquires Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC to Welcome Fans to Next Three Matches at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Whitecaps FC Loan Forward David Egbo to Phoenix Rising FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Forward Brian White from New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Confirm July Home Matches Will be Played at Rio Tinto Stadium
- 'Caps comeback effort falls short in Houston