Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16
ALAJUELA, COSTA RICA - Atlanta United defeated LD Alajuelense 1-0 Tuesday night at Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto in Leg One of its Round of 16 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL) matchup. Despite playing the entire second half with 10 men, Ezequiel Barco scored the club's first goal of the year to give Atlanta a crucial road win heading into the second leg. The result marked head coach Gabriel Heinze's first win with the club and it also ended Alajuelense's 25-match unbeaten streak dating back to November 2020.
Atlanta was reduced to 10 players after goalkeeper Brad Guzan was shown a red card in the 43rd minute for taking down Marcel HernÃ¡ndez in a one-on-one situation just outside of the 18-yard-box. However, Atlanta started the second half energized and forced a penalty within the first five minutes. In the 48th minute, Barco played George Bello down the left side into the box where the defender one-timed a low cross, which was ruled to have hit the outstretched arm of José Salvatierra. Barco took the penalty kick and slotted it to the bottom right corner, just under the arm of Alajuelense goalkeeper Leonel Moreira in the 50th minute.
Eighteen-year-old Rocco RÃos Novo, a goalkeeper for Atlanta United 2 who signed a Short-Term Agreement Monday, replaced Guzan to make his First Team debut. The dual-national Argentine made six saves in the second half to preserve the clean sheet, which also set the club's single-match record in SCCL play. In addition to RÃos Novo, several players made their club debuts including Santiago Sosa, Franco Ibarra and Lisandro Lopez who all started.
After grabbing the breakthrough goal, Atlanta weathered an onslaught of pressure from Alajuelense's attack, which took 13 shots and put six on frame in the second half. Atlanta defended well despite facing 21 crosses and seven corners in the final 45 minutes.
Amidst the action, striker Josef MartÃnez made his long-awaited return to the field since his season-ending injury in February 2020 when he entered as a substitute, replacing Lopez in the 67th minute.
Atlanta and Alajuelense face each other for Leg Two next Tuesday, April 13 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Georgia (6:00 p.m. EST, FS1, TUDN, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 | Leg One
Atlanta United 1, LD Alajuelense 0
Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Shots: 17-8 Alajuelense
Shots on Target: 7-4 Alajuelense
Corner kicks: 7-2 Alajuelense
Fouls committed: 19-18 Atlanta
Offside: 5-2 Alajuelense
Possession: 51-49 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 79-78 Atlanta
ATL - Ezequiel Barco (penalty) 50'
ATL - Brad Guzan (Red) 43'
ATL - Anton Walkes (yellow) 57'
ATL - Rocco RÃos Novo (yellow) 69'
LDA - Johan Venegas (yellow) 76'
ATL - Franco Ibarra (yellow) 82'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Brooks Lennon, George Bello, Anton Walkes, Miles Robinson; Franco Ibarra (George Campbell - 88'), Santiago Sosa; Emerson Hyndman, Jake Mulraney (Rocco RÃos Novo - 45+2'), Ezequiel Barco; Lisandro López (Josef MartÃnez - 67').
Substitutes not used: Machop Chol, Jack Gurr, Tyler Wolff, Jürgen Damm
LD ALAJUELENSE STARTING LINEUP
Leonel Moreira; Yurguin RomÃ¡n, José Salvatierra (FernÃ¡n Faerrón - 73'), Daniel Arreola, José Miguel Cubero, Johan Venegas, Bryan Ruiz ©, Barlon Sequeira (Jurguens Montenegro - 52'), Marcel HernÃ¡ndez, Alexander López, AdriÃ¡n Alonso, MartÃnez Batista.
Substitutes not used: Aarón SuÃ¡rez, Mauricio Vargas, JÃºnior DÃaz, Brandon Aguilera, Bernald Alfaro.
Said Martinez (referee), Walter Lopez, (assistant), Roney Salinas, (assistant), Tristley Bassue (fourth).
Gabriel Heinze won his first game as head coach of Atlanta United
The win marked the first road win in SCCL play for Atlanta United
Ezequiel Barco scored his 11th goal with Atlanta United
Santiago Sosa, Franco Ibarra, Lisandro Lopez and Rocco RÃos Novo made their club debuts
RÃos Novo set the club's single-match CCL record with six saves
Anton Walkes led the team with 11 clearances
Brooks Lennon created a team-high three chances and put in six crosses
Santiago Sosa led the team with 83 total touches
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2021
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Defeat OKC Energy 2-0 at Aveva Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids' Next Preseason Test Comes Wednesday vs Galaxy in Visit Tucson Sun Cup - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas and Estrella Media Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language TV Broadcast Partnership - FC Dallas
- Vertiv Teams up with Columbus Crew SC as a Founding Partner and Supplier of Data Center Infrastructure for New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Launches "Since '96" Throwback Apparel Collection - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America - Los Angeles FC
- Retro-Inspired New England Revolution Clothing Line Unveiled in Major League Soccer's Since '96 Collection - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United's Kickoff Time against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 1 Changed to 11 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer - LA Galaxy
- Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Featured in Major League Soccer's "Since '96" Collection with Nostalgic Apparel Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Launches Since '96 Retro Collection - MLS
- Up Next: Week Five of Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Jonathan Sirois and Sean Rea Loaned to Valour FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership - Austin FC
- CF Montreal Acquires Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Draw Philadelphia Union in Leg Two of SCCL Quarterfinal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution