Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 16 of the 2019 MLS season, it was announced today.
Valeri tallied one goal and three assists in Portland's 4-0 win over the Houston Dynamo at Providence Park on June 22. This season, Valeri has scored four goals and is tied for the league lead with 10 assists in 14 appearances (13 starts) in MLS play.
After earning a secondary assist on Marvin LorÃ-a's goal on his debut for the Timbers in the 39th minute, Valeri scored in the 61st minute after burying his penalty-kick attempt into the lower left corner of the net. In the 63rd minute, the Argentine midfielder floated a long pass down the left flank to Brian Fernandez, who cut in onto his right foot and laced his low shot past Houston goalkeeper Joe Willis into the bottom right corner of the goal. Valeri earned his third assist of the night when he fed Jeremy Ebobisse the ball near the edge of the 18-yard box. Ebobisse then cut onto his right foot before curling a right-footed shot past the outstretched arms of Willis just inside the far post in the 75th minute.
The three-assist performance marks the fourth time in Valeri's career he has logged three assists for the Timbers in regular-season play. The award marks Valeri's fourth time winning MLS Player of the Week honors.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Next up, Portland travels to face the Montreal Impact on Wednesday, June 26, at Stade Saputo. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on FOX 12 (KPTV) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Finalize Purchase of Argentinian Midfielder TomÃs Conechny
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win on the Road against Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 16, 2019