Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week
June 24, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 16th week of the 2019 MLS season.
Valeri scored one goal and registered three assists in Portland's 4-0 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday at Providence Park. On the season Valeri has now scored four goals and is tied for the league lead with 10 assists in 14 matches played. Portland sits in 11th place in the Western Conference with 17 points (5-7-2 overall record).
Portland scored its first goal in the 39th minute when Valeri sent a long range pass into the box, ultimately leading to a Marvin Loria goal to give the club a 1-0 lead. Valeri then converted a penalty kick opportunity in the 61st minute to push Portland's lead to 2-0.
The Argentine garnered his second assist of the match to give the Timbers a 3-0 lead in the 63rd minute when freeing up Brian Fernández behind the defense with a pass from midfield. Valeri capped his day with a third assist in the 75th minute, finding Jeremy Ebobisse on the left side of the box to complete Portland's dominant performance. The three assists in one match tie Valeri's MLS career high which he accomplished previously on three separate occasions.
Portland returns to action on Wednesday when traveling to face the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo (7:30 p.m. ET, TVA Sports / ESPN+), before hosting FC Dallas at Providence Park on Sunday (11 p.m. ET, UniMás / Twitter).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri
(Major League Soccer, LLC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.