New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC today announced that Gary Mackay-Steven has joined the Club after his contract with Scottish Premier League Club Aberdeen FC expired.
The 28-year-old Scotland international is a left-footed winger and becomes the Club's latest multi-year signing.
Mackay-Steven will join up with the squad in New York City upon acquisition of a P-1 visa and ITC. He will be eligible to play for the Club after July 9th, when the league's secondary transfer window opens.
"I'm delighted to finally sign on the dotted line. I can't wait to hit the ground running and make my debut in the blue shirt. I can't wait to show what I can do to the fans in Yankee Stadium," said Gary Mackay-Steven.
"The lure of playing in America and in MLS is really attractive to me. It's always been a draw for me, it's hard to say no. I can't wait to get started.
"You see NYCFC from afar and the way they play football is the way it should be played. A player like me, coming into an atmosphere when the philosophy is in place, it is going to be enjoyable. I want to learn as much as I can and hopefully hit the ground running.
"I like to take people on in the 1 v 1 situations. I like to make things happen and to get fans off their seats. Hopefully I can do that in New York and show what I'm all about. I feel everything is in place to win a trophy. A squad like New York, with the structure in place, it's really in the team's grasps and hopefully I can chip in with goals and assists."
Mackay-Steven's youth career began in 2007 at Ross County, before spells in Fulham and Liverpool's Academy setups led to a move to Airdrie United where he made his professional debut in 2011.
His promising start at Airdrie led to a transfer to Dundee United where he made his name, featuring on more than 100 occasions and scoring 21 league goals before earning a transfer to 50-time Scottish champions, Celtic.
At Celtic Park, Gary won the title in back-to-back-to-back years, also lifting a Scottish Cup in 2016 before his move to Aberdeen where he scored 16 goals in 72 appearances in all competitions.
New York City FC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna said of the signing:
"Gary is a player we have been tracking for some time and we're excited to add him to our squad. He's an out-and-out winger that can play on both sides of the pitch and strengthens our attacking options.
"We have a core group of experienced players who form the spine of our team and Gary possesses the same leadership qualities that already exist in our locker room. He's played in big games in Europe and has been part of title-winning teams and we're really excited to have him join NYCFC."
At international level, Mackay-Steven has won two caps, making his debut in 2013. In October 2018, he ended a five-year wait for a second senior international cap, assisting a goal as a second half substitute for Scotland vs. Portugal at Hampden Park.
NYCFC Manager Doménec Torrent said:
"Gary brings the qualities that this Club is looking for in an attacking player. He's very good on the ball and likes to run at players in 1 v 1 situations.
"When he is on the wing, he delivers a quality ball into the box, but can also cut inside and cause the opponent's defenders a lot of trouble. He is another talented attacker that I can now choose from."
Everyone at NYCFC would like to welcome Gary to the Club.
Name: Gary Mackay-Steven
Weight: 154 lbs
Date of Birth: 8/31/1990
Hometown: Thurso, Scotland
Transaction: Gary Mackay-Steven joins NYCFC after his contract with Aberdeen FC expired.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City FC to Begin Voluntary Individual Outdoor Workouts in Accordance with MLS and New York State Guidelines
- New York City FC and the YES Network Debut "NYCFC - Home For The City" Special this Friday, May 1 on YES
- Health and Well Wishes from NYCFC
- New York City FC Sporting Department Confirms First Case of COVID-19
- MLS Announces Further Postponement