New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester
Five of the Young Leaders selected to participate are from the Cityzens Giving Soccer Bloc project in New York City supported by SAP
Summit is part of fifth Cityzens Giving campaign, which provides funding and training for young people in 17 cities around the world, helping tackle social issues through the power of soccer
Activities during the week included leadership development, community soccer workshops and organizing a soccer festival for local primary school children New York City FC, alongside sister Club Manchester City and main partner Etihad Airways, has delivered the fifth annual Young Leaders Summit, celebrating another positive year for the Club's Cityzens Giving campaign by connecting the global network of community projects the Club supports.
Since 2014, Cityzens Giving has provided project funding and training for young people in 21 cities around the world to tackle social issues in their communities through the power of soccer. Over 20,000 children and young people have been impacted through the initiative so far, with 420 hours of Young Leader training in the fifth campaign so far.
Etihad Airways, the Official Summit Partner, flew the Young Leaders into Manchester, England to take part in the week-long program at City Football Academy. Leaders participated in a variety of workshops, both on and off the pitch, delivered by City in the Community (CITC) coaches to equip them with the skills and confidence to deliver soccer sessions in their local communities.
During the week, the group also met Manchester City women's player Esme Morgan, gaining insight into her experiences of becoming a professional soccer player, and organized a 'Same Goals' soccer tournament, part of the Club's wider Same City, Same Passion initiative, themed around the Women's World Cup. This put into practice the skills they developed during their Young Leader training, alongside a soccer festival which invited children from schools across Manchester to the Etihad Campus to take part.
Cityzens Giving supports youth-led community soccer projects in global locations including New York City, Los Angeles, Beijing, Hanoi and Bangalore. Manchester City partners Etihad Airways, Xylem, SAP, SHB Bank and Nexen Tire also closely support projects and training in these cities by providing additional expertise in market.
Paul Jeffries, NYCFC Senior Director of Community Development, commented:
"Our NYCFC family is very proud to have five local Young Leaders from the five boroughs participate in the fifth annual Young Leaders Summit. They have shown incredible dedication and are using the power of soccer to bring communities together. One of our New York City Young Leaders, Kwame King, has taken a leadership role at this year's Summit. Kwame's growth from participant to leader is a great example of what this program is all about; we empower young people through increased responsibility, and they rise to the occasion.
"We want to thank our terrific partners at Etihad Airways and SAP for making Cityzens Giving a success and allowing us to grow the impact of our Young Leader training both locally here in New York City as well as around the world."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City FC to Begin Voluntary Individual Outdoor Workouts in Accordance with MLS and New York State Guidelines
- New York City FC and the YES Network Debut "NYCFC - Home For The City" Special this Friday, May 1 on YES
- Health and Well Wishes from NYCFC
- New York City FC Sporting Department Confirms First Case of COVID-19
- MLS Announces Further Postponement