Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (5-7-3, 18 points) travels to face D.C. United (7-4-6, 27 points) on Wednesday, June 26. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET at Audi Field.
The match will be locally televised on My65 and available on YouTube TV. It will also be broadcast on FM 96.9 The Game in English and La Nueva 990am in Spanish.
"They're [D.C. United] a very good team. They obviously have very good players. They've sort of flittered between a couple of formations, so for us it's just about being mindful of what we think they may do, but also we'll be very open minded on what they can do," Head Coach James O'Connor said. "I think they possess a lot of attacking threats, we just need to be very mindful going into the game of the threats they pose."
The Lions return to league play for the first time since June 1, a match that saw them defeat the Montreal Impact 3-0 at Stade Saputo. Since then, City has battled to back-to-back victories in the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup over USL Championship League side Memphis 901 FC and fellow MLS club, the New England Revolution.
City's last result came at its newly-named home, Exploria Stadium, in a 2-1 victory over the New England Revolution in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16. After a scoreless regulation, the Lions found the back of the net in the 96th minute with Benji Michel's first goal as a Lion and in the 101st off the foot of Tesho Akindele. New England's Justin Rennicks cut the City lead in half in the 117th, but the visitors' rally came up short, punching the Lions' ticket to the Open Cup Quarterfinals.
Nani leads the Lions in goals with eight this season, followed by Akindele who has six across all competitions and five in league play. The Portuguese midfielder also leads the Club in assists with four.
D.C. comes into Wednesday's contest following a 2-1 loss to New York City FC in their U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 matchup. Wayne Rooney opened the scoring in the match for the Black and Red in the 32nd, but NYCFC responded with goals from Alexandru Mitrita and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi in the 38th and 41st minutes respectively to knock D.C. out of the nation's oldest cup competition.
Rooney leads the Black and Red with eight goals this season, tied with Nani and three others for fourth in Major League Soccer. D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid leads the league in saves thus far in 2019 with 67 and is second in MLS with seven shutouts.
Wednesday's match will be the second between the two sides this season, with the Lions looking to avenge a 2-1 loss to the Black and Red on March 31. Following Wednesday's contest, City will continue a two-game road trip as it travels to Columbus to face the Crew on June 29 at MAPFRE Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team
- City Falls to New England in Eastern Conference Semifinals
- Storylines: City vs. New England Revolution