Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster
PORTLAND, Ore. - Major League Soccer announced today that Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Chara has been named to the 26-man roster for the 2019 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target.
Chara is among the 26 MLS players selected to compete against La Liga side Atlético de Madrid at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday, July 31, at 5 p.m. (Pacific), live on FS1, UniMás, TSN and TVA Sports. Today's announcement included 13 selections - including Chara - by MLS All-Star head coach James O'Connor, players from the previously announced MLS All-Star Fan XI presented by Target and two Commissioner's picks. The announcement marks the first time Chara, who originally signed with the Timbers for their inaugural MLS season in 2011, has been named to the MLS All-Star roster.
Making his MLS debut on April 23, 2011, after joining the Timbers from Colombian first-division side Deportes Tolima, Chara has established himself as one of the most consistent and talented players in MLS. Since his debut, no other player in the league has more regular-season starts with one club (242), and no MLS player has recorded more tackles (853) and tackles won (677) in regular-season play than Chara during that span.
In his ninth season with the Timbers, Chara, 33, is Portland's all-time leader in MLS regular-season appearances (244), games started (242) and minutes played (21,412) across all eras (1975-current). Chara, a three-time Timbers Players' Player of the Year, has appeared in at least 27 matches in eight consecutive seasons.
In 2015, Chara made 28 regular-season appearances (28 starts) and played in four postseason matches to help lead the Timbers to their first MLS Cup championship, also helping lead Portland to a second MLS Cup appearance in 2018.
2019 MLS All-Star Roster
Goalkeepers: Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)*, Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC)^, Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)#
Defenders: Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)*, Kemar Lawrence (New York Red Bulls)*, Romain Metanire (Minnesota United FC)*, Leandro González Pírez (Atlanta United FC)^, Bastian Schweinsteiger (Chicago Fire)*, Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles FC)^, Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)^
Midfielders: Ezequiel Barco (Atlanta United FC)^, Diego Chara (Portland Timbers)*, Jonathan dos Santos (LA Galaxy)^, Mark-Anthony Kaye (Los Angeles FC)*, Nicolas Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders FC)*, Gonzalo "Pity" Martínez (Atlanta United FC)^, Maxi Moralez (New York City FC)*, Nani (Orlando City SC)^, Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas)#, Alejandro Pozuelo (Toronto FC)*, Diego Rossi (Los Angeles FC)*
Forwards: Zlatan Ibrahimoviæ (LA Galaxy - EA SPORTS "More Than a Vote" Challenge)^, Josef Martinez (Atlanta United FC)*, Wayne Rooney (D.C. United)^, Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)*, Carlos Vela (Los Angeles FC)^
^Fan XI selection
*James O'Connor selection
#Commissioner Don Garber selection
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 24, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Orlando City Travels to D.C. United for Wednesday Match - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Announces Collaboration with Elysian Brewing on New Beer Release - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Exercises 2020 Contract Option of Midfielder Latif Blessing - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Recalls Mason Stajduhar from Loan - Orlando City SC
- Diego Rossi and Mark-Anthony Kaye Make Final 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Los Angeles FC
- Nicolas Lodeiro Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Earns Eighth MLS All-Star Selection - Real Salt Lake
- Paxton Pomykal and Matt Hedges Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: June 24, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Signs Gary Mackay-Steven - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party for U.S. Women's National Team Match vs. Spain - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Roster - Portland Timbers
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Atlanta United FC
- Pozuelo Selected for 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Romain Metanire Named a 2019 MLS All-Star - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Goalkeeper Andre Blake Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reveals 26-Man Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Sends Five Young Leaders to Fifth Annual Young Leaders Summit at City Football Academy in Manchester - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent | D.C. United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 16, 2019
- Timbers, Lucas Melano Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract
- Ten-Man Timbers Earn 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids at Providence Park