Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The Portland Timbers dropped a 3-2 result on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on Wednesday evening. Bill Tuiloma recorded his team-leading fourth goal of the season and Cristhian Paredes tallied his second goal in 2022. Marvin Loría and Eryk Williamson each recorded an assist in the match.
Both of Portland's goals tonight were headed in off of set pieces. Paredes found the back of the net in the first half off a corner kick from Loría. It marked the Paraguayan's second goal of the 2022 campaign. Tuiloma followed suit in the second half scoring in a similar fashion, heading in a right-footed corner from Williamson. The goal was Tuiloma's team-leading fourth of the season. Notably, Tuiloma has scored three of his four goals through headers this season, and all four have been from set-piece plays. The New Zealand international is tied for second in the league with three headed goals. Five of Tuiloma's eight career goals in MLS have been headed goals.
POR - Cristhian Paredes (Marvin Loría), 18th minute: Cristhian Paredes moved quickly inside the box to free himself from a San Jose defender and find Marvin Loría's corner-kick service. Paredes connected with the ball through a header six yards out from the goal line.
SJ - Jackson Yueill (Jeremy Ebobisse), 31st minute: Jeremy Ebobisse dribbled and cut through the Portland defense on the left wing to cross the ball to pinpoint the penalty spot where Jackson Yueill threw himself into a diving header, finding the back of the Portland's net.
SJ - Jamiro Monteiro (Cade Cowell), 44th minute: Through a breakaway run from the midfield, Cade Cowell dribbled towards the 18-yard box and crossed the ball into the middle of the box to find Jamiro Monteiro. Monteiro took a one-time shot with his right foot and finished his chance.
POR - Bill Tuiloma (Eryk Williamson), 56th minute: From a corner kick, Eryk Williamson delivered a pinpoint ball to the center of the box for Bill Tuiloma, who unleashed a powerful header into the upper-right hand corner.
SJ - Jamiro Monteiro, 80th minute: From the touchline, Espinoza cut back a cross toward the center of the box for Jeremy Ebobisse. The ball took a deflection and Monteiro ran into the space with a sliding right-footed shot into the lower left-hand corner of the goal.
Tonight's loss snapped an unbeaten streak of seven straight matches against the Earthquakes dating back to 2019. It was the longest unbeaten run by either team against the other in MLS play with Portland also going unbeaten in the first seven meetings (W2 D5) from 2011 to April 2013.
Portland holds a 15-6-9 record over San Jose.
The Timbers played their second consecutive midweek match on the road tonight, playing three matches in a nine-day span.
Tuiloma tallied his team-leading fourth goal of the season, scoring in a second consecutive match.
Tuiloma is tied for second-most headed goals in the league this season with three.
Five of Tuiloma's eight career goals in MLS have been headed goals.
Cristhian Paredes scored his second goal of the 2022 campaign, scoring in a second consecutive match.
Eryk Williamson recorded his third assist of the season.
Williamson has tallied three assists in the last two matches for Portland.
Williamson has tallied four assists against San Jose, the most assists against any team for the midfielder.
Marvin Loría tallied his second assist in the 2022 campaign.
Seven Timbers have scored two or more goals this season - Tuiloma (4), Jaroslaw Niezgoda (3), Yimmi Chara (3), Sebastian Blanco (2), Paredes (2), Nathan Fogaça (2) and Dairon Asprilla (2).
Seven different players have tallied at least one assist for Portland this season - Y. Chara (4), Blanco (4), Williamson (3), Loría (2), Santiago Moreno (2), Paredes (2) and Diego Chara (1).
Portland will play host to Eastern Conference side the Philadelphia Union on Sunday, May 22, at Providence Park. The May 22 match kicks off at 7 p.m. (Pacific) with a national television broadcast on FS1 and local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2022
- Limited Tickets Still Available for LA Galaxy's May 22 Home Match against Houston Dynamo FC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire for Week 12 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Seek Fifth-Straight Win, Return Home to Host the New England Revolution - FC Cincinnati
- Lowe and Callender Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Allstate Insurance Company - Philadelphia Union
- Stuver, Gabrielsen, Driussi, Josh Wolff Earn MLS Team of the Week Honors - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Unified Team Roster - FC Dallas
- Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches against Charlotte FC - New York City FC
- Sporting Director Zoran Krneta Assesses Team's Season Thus Far, What's to Come and Chelsea FC Match - Charlotte FC
- Five Points: Bright Start - New York City FC
- CF Montréal to Retire Number 12 on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- NYCFC Partners with Crest and Oral-B to Help Close America's Smile Gap - New York City FC
- Audi Field in Conjunction with the Capitol Riverfront BID Present "Movies on the Pitch" - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF to Host FC Barcelona at DRV PNK Stadium on July 19 - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Suffers First Home Loss of 2022, Fall 2-1 to Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Defeat Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Beats LAFC 2-1 to Reclaim Top Spot in MLS Standings - Austin FC
- 'Caps Finish Home Stand With Comeback Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 1-1 Draw on the Road against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Wins 1-0 over Houston Dynamo FC in Midweek Action at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Falls 2-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 23 Matches Across All Competitions with 2-1 Win over CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Earns 2-1 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Fall 1-0 to Seattle Sounders FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Point at Home against Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- Callender: Ã¢ÂÂI Really Think We Have a Group That Is Going to Go the DistanceÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Extend Defender Josecarlos Van Rankin's Loan for Remainder of 2022 Season
- Santiago Moreno Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 17
- Ten-Man Timbers Down Houston Dynamo FC 2-1 at Providence Park
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda and Bill Tuiloma Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 16
- Timbers Blank Colorado Rapids in 3-0 Victory at Providence Park