FC Cincinnati Seek Fifth-Straight Win, Return Home to Host the New England Revolution
FC Cincinnati will return home to TQL Stadium, seeking a fifth-consecutive win, to host the New England Revolution, presented by SeatGeek. Kickoff on Saturday, May 21 is set for 6 p.m. as FCC celebrate Soccer in the Community and Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
FC CINCINNATI vs. NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION - SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2022 - 6 p.m. - TQL STADIUM
HOW TO WATCH
Local TV: Star64
Local Stream: fccincinnati.com
Out of Market Stream: ESPN+
Radio: ESPN 1530
Talent: Tom Gelehrter (play-by-play), Kevin McCloskey (analyst), Alex Stec (sideline)
Be sure to follow @FCCincinnati on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for live updates from the game.
Tickets are still available, visit fccincinnati.com/tickets or call 513-977-KICK, that's 513-977-5425.
Fans can expect to see many local youth soccer players and families in attendance on Saturday night as FC Cincinnati celebrate Soccer in the Community. Check out the video boards throughout the evening to see how the programs and initiatives of the FC Cincinnati Academy and Foundation improve the lives of children through soccer, and create an inclusive community in Greater Cincinnati.
FC Cincinnati also will celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with a special welcome message from midfielder Yuya Kubo, the only active Japanese player in MLS.
Prior to the game, head over to Washington Park prior to the game between 3-6 p.m. to enjoy special activations including:
- Player signings (3:30-5:30 p.m.)
- Music from DJ Diamond
- Food trucks including Queens of the Crop, El Cardinal Taqueria, SEA Cuisine
- Face painting and balloon artist
- Soccer games including the Striker Challenge and Soccer Darts
- Beer, wine, hard seltzer and drink specials available for purchase at The Porch
Fans can join the Supporters March to TQL Stadium, departing Washington Park at approximately 5:15 p.m.
HEAD TO A PUB PARTNER
Can't make it to the game and looking for a place to watch the Orange and Blue? Head to one of the club's official Pub Partners for the season, which broadcast all home and away games and feature opportunities for fans to win prizes all season long.
SCOUTING THE NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION (3-5-3, 11 POINTS, 11th EASTERN CONFERENCE)
FC Cincinnati will get a second crack at the defending MLS Supporters' Shield holders, a rematch of the U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 contest on Wednesday, May 11th in Foxborough, Massachusetts. On that day, the hosts came out on top, 5-1, the fourth-straight win by New England in the head-to-head series with FCC across all competitions.
The Orange and Blue saw on that evening first hand how dangerous New England's top offensive threats (Carles Gil and Adam Buksa) can be. Gil secured a hat trick, and Buksa scored a brace to combine for all five New England goals. In MLS action this season, Buksa has scored in five consecutive games, the longest active streak in MLS.
Gil is one of the league's craftiest midfielders. He led MLS last season in assists and creating chances, and he is right on the heels of the Orange and Blue's Luciano Acosta this season in key passes and shot-creating actions.
The Orange and Blue did not have to face Matt Turner, one of the best goalkeepers in the league last Wednesday. The USMNT netminder returned from injury and made his season debut in late April, and has one clean sheet in three appearances this season. Turner is expected to join English Premier League side Arsenal in June, making Saturday perhaps the last time FCC will try to put shots past the 27-year-old standout.
The Revs are unbeaten in their last four games across all competitions. Bruce Arena's squad are coming off a 2-2 tie last Sunday at Atlanta United FC.
On a rematch with the New England Revolution
"Regardless of the personnel on the field, we had every intention to go in and win in that game and we just didn't perform well enough to do that. We did see some of their regular starters on the field and the quality that they have. You can use that as a learning tool where you face the team less than two weeks later in league play, and now we have a chance to try to improve on some of the areas where they were able to exploit us.
"I think our group is looking forward to being on the field against this opponent and trying to show that maybe they didn't get our best on the on the evening. I think we still have a confident group to step on the field and continue our strong forming in league play in terms of results."
STORYLINES OF THE GAME
O CAPTAIN! MY CAPTAIN! - FC Cincinnati midfielder Luciano Acosta, should he wear the armband on Saturday, will match Kendall Waston's club record for the most times captaining FCC (41).
SPEAKING OF LUCHO... - Luciano Acosta has put together a very impressive 2022 campaign for the Orange and Blue. He leads MLS this season with 42 key passes, and according to StatsBomb, Acosta leads MLS with 4.9 xA and he leads the league with 72 shot-creating actions.
Acosta has been involved in a goal in each of his last five games (4 goals, 1 assist). Acosta is the first player in FC Cincinnati history to record a goal contribution in five straight MLS matches.
LATE GOALS - The New England Revolution have conceded eight goals this season in the final 15 minutes of a game this season, the most in MLS (2nd most: Seattle, 6). Meanwhile, FC Cincinnati have scored game-winners from the 85th minute on in consecutive games for the first time in the club's MLS history.
Luciano Acosta's 85th minute winner last Saturday at Chicago is matched with Haris Medunjanin's 85th minute Olimpico at the New York Red Bulls (September 19, 2020) for the third-latest game-winner in the club's MLS history.
ROMAN EMPIRE - Prior to Chicago's 83rd minute goal last Saturday, FCC goalkeeper Roman Celentano put together the 3rd-longest shutout streak in club history at 288 minutes. Among goalkeepers with at least five starts this season, his save percentage is the best in MLS (84%) and his goals-against-average is 3rd-best (0.8 GAA).
Assistant coach Kenny Arena and goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer each have ties to the current Western Conference leaders. Arena was an assistant for four seasons with Los Angeles, joining in 2018. Vermeer began his MLS career in 2020 with LAFC, where he made eight appearances in MLS regular season play as well as five Concacaf Champions League starts.
100 UPCOMING - The century mark watch is on for the Orange and Blue. FC Cincinnati have tallied 90 goals, and have received six own goals, for a total of 96 goals scored in MLS regular season play. Pat Noonan's squad would certainly be glad to score four times on Saturday to reach 100.
NEW ENGLAND CONNECTIONS - There is no shortage of connections between the Revolution and FC Cincinnati, particularly on the technical side.
Head Coach Pat Noonan was selected in the first round (9th overall) of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft by the Revs. Noonan scored 37 goals in 119 regular season apps with New England. Then to begin his coaching career in 2013, he started with LA Galaxy under then-Head Coach Bruce Arena. He followed Arena to the U.S. Men's National Team in 2017 when Arena was appointed manager of the USMNT. Now for the first time in an MLS contest, he will go head-to-head against his former mentor.
FC Cincinnati Assistant Coach Kenny Arena will face off against his father Bruce on opposing sidelines for the second time in MLS competition, the first coming when Kenny was an assistant with LAFC on August 3, 2019, a 2-0 LAFC win over the Revs.
Other connections include:
- FCC General Manager Chris Albright made 26 appearances with the Revs in 2008
- Luciano Acosta scored his first career goal against the Revs, on April 23, 2016 as a substitute for D.C. United at RFK Stadium in the 86th minute
- Massachusetts native Geoff Cameron made his MLS debut against NE on March 29, 2008
Fans can build their custom 3 Match Flex Plan today. Pick any three matches and save on single match ticket pricing with no fees at checkout. Fans can pick the same seats for three games or select different options around TQL Stadium.
Single match tickets to any of FC Cincinnati's remaining home games are also available now, head to fccincinnati.com/tickets or call 513-977-KICK, that's 513-977-5425, to learn more.
FC Cincinnati are playing their fourth season of MLS competition in 2022, and their second playing at TQL Stadium. For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2022
- Limited Tickets Still Available for LA Galaxy's May 22 Home Match against Houston Dynamo FC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire for Week 12 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Seek Fifth-Straight Win, Return Home to Host the New England Revolution - FC Cincinnati
- Lowe and Callender Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Allstate Insurance Company - Philadelphia Union
- Stuver, Gabrielsen, Driussi, Josh Wolff Earn MLS Team of the Week Honors - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Unified Team Roster - FC Dallas
- Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches against Charlotte FC - New York City FC
- Sporting Director Zoran Krneta Assesses Team's Season Thus Far, What's to Come and Chelsea FC Match - Charlotte FC
- Five Points: Bright Start - New York City FC
- CF Montréal to Retire Number 12 on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- NYCFC Partners with Crest and Oral-B to Help Close America's Smile Gap - New York City FC
- Audi Field in Conjunction with the Capitol Riverfront BID Present "Movies on the Pitch" - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF to Host FC Barcelona at DRV PNK Stadium on July 19 - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Suffers First Home Loss of 2022, Fall 2-1 to Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Defeat Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Beats LAFC 2-1 to Reclaim Top Spot in MLS Standings - Austin FC
- 'Caps Finish Home Stand With Comeback Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 1-1 Draw on the Road against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Wins 1-0 over Houston Dynamo FC in Midweek Action at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Falls 2-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 23 Matches Across All Competitions with 2-1 Win over CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Earns 2-1 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Fall 1-0 to Seattle Sounders FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Point at Home against Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- Callender: Ã¢ÂÂI Really Think We Have a Group That Is Going to Go the DistanceÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Host Defending MLS Cup Champions New York City FC in Midweek Matchup
- FC Cincinnati Knock off Orlando City SC, 1-0
- FC Cincinnati U15, U17 and U19 Squads to Compete at 2022 MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs
- FC Cincinnati Host Orlando City SC for a Friday Night Blue Out
- Obinna Nwobodo Earns MLS Team of the Week Honors