Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC, the Orlando Pride and the Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC) are proud to team-up for the Club's first-ever Sustainability Week, which will take place from May 22-28. Nearly a year ago, the Club announced Exploria Stadium's "Zero Waste Initiative" and are proud to have made strides in advancing and expanding that promise.
"We are excited to partner with OUC in our Club's inaugural Sustainability Week," said Jarrod Dillon, Orlando City and Orlando Pride's president of business operations. "We are proud of the progress we have made at Exploria Stadium and honored to continue leading at the forefront of green initiatives in our community. Having OUC work alongside us is a great opportunity to provide sustainable and resource options to our fans and our community. We are excited for this upcoming week and look forward to working alongside our partners as we strive for a greener, zero waste future."
"Sustainability Week presents OUC with a great opportunity to educate fans on how they can live more sustainably through conservation," said Linda Ferrone, OUC Chief Customer & Marketing Officer. "OUC is committed to meeting its own sustainability goals, including reaching net zero CO2 emissions by 2050, just as we are committed to helping our customers reduce their impact on the environment."
Recently, the venue became the first in Orlando to sign OUC's Solar Pledge, which vows to have the site become 100% solar powered by 2030. By accessing OUC's solar power generation, an option available to all Solar Pledge participants, it is easier for Exploria Stadium to use maintenance-free solar energy without the costs associated with installing solar panels. More information on how community members can join the OUC Solar Pledge can be found here.
Additionally, the Club installed an onsite recycling system, with the venue continuing to maximize the number of recycled products through the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) at Exploria Stadium. Over the first four months of the calendar year, the MRF has diverted four tons of plastic, one ton of cardboard, a half ton of aluminum and five tons of food waste from landfills. Further, OUC has conducted an energy and water audit of Exploria Stadium to help the Club identify areas to improve efficiencies throughout the venue, which could lead to greener impacts that are also cost effective.
OVG Hospitality, Exploria Stadium's concessionaire, has switched all plates, cups, napkins and utensils in premium areas to compostable materials, with recyclable, aluminum cups used for all draft beer concessions throughout the stadium.
Following matches, food waste is collected from the kitchen and concession stands and contributed to the City of Orlando's compost program, with the City of Orlando also donating compost in the matching weight of the Club's total contribution to the Community Gardens built by the Orlando City Foundation. Additionally, prepared but undistributed food is donated after each match to local shelters and food kitchens to avoid sending food to landfill.
The Club's three matches that week will also be presented by OUC, a local leader in the areas of sustainability, water conservation and solar initiatives. The week will kickoff on Saturday, May 22 with Orlando City's road match at 2021 expansion side Austin FC. Following City's away game, fans can make their way to Exploria Stadium that same night, where the Orlando Pride will host the Chicago Red Stars at 7 p.m. ET, presented by OUC.
At that match, fans can see Exploria Stadium's Zero Waste Initiatives firsthand. While onsite, fans can learn more about the Stadium's Zero Waste Initiatives through PSA signage that is placed in key-sustainability areas such as restrooms, concession areas and garbage/recycling bins. The "Green Team" is also located throughout the venue to assist in educating guests on these efforts.
The week will wrap with the Lions returning home, where the Club will sport their annual PRIMEBLUE jerseys against FC Dallas, special-edition kits that are made of a high-performance yarn featuring 50% Parley Ocean Plastic. That match will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. ET. Both City matches will air locally on FOX35 PLUS and LionNation TV, while the Pride game will be available domestically on Paramount+ and internationally on Twitch.
Fans looking to take action in the local community are invited to join volunteers from the Club on Saturday, May 21 with the annual Parramore Community Cleanup & Beautification. More information on how to get involved can be found at the link here.
Tickets to all Orlando City matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com, while Pride tickets can be found at Orlando-Pride.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2022
- Limited Tickets Still Available for LA Galaxy's May 22 Home Match against Houston Dynamo FC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire for Week 12 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Seek Fifth-Straight Win, Return Home to Host the New England Revolution - FC Cincinnati
- Lowe and Callender Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Allstate Insurance Company - Philadelphia Union
- Stuver, Gabrielsen, Driussi, Josh Wolff Earn MLS Team of the Week Honors - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Unified Team Roster - FC Dallas
- Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches against Charlotte FC - New York City FC
- Sporting Director Zoran Krneta Assesses Team's Season Thus Far, What's to Come and Chelsea FC Match - Charlotte FC
- Five Points: Bright Start - New York City FC
- CF Montréal to Retire Number 12 on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- NYCFC Partners with Crest and Oral-B to Help Close America's Smile Gap - New York City FC
- Audi Field in Conjunction with the Capitol Riverfront BID Present "Movies on the Pitch" - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF to Host FC Barcelona at DRV PNK Stadium on July 19 - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Suffers First Home Loss of 2022, Fall 2-1 to Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Defeat Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Beats LAFC 2-1 to Reclaim Top Spot in MLS Standings - Austin FC
- 'Caps Finish Home Stand With Comeback Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 1-1 Draw on the Road against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Wins 1-0 over Houston Dynamo FC in Midweek Action at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Falls 2-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 23 Matches Across All Competitions with 2-1 Win over CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Earns 2-1 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Fall 1-0 to Seattle Sounders FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Point at Home against Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- Callender: Ã¢ÂÂI Really Think We Have a Group That Is Going to Go the DistanceÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Advances to U.S. Open Cup Semifinal Following Shootout Win over Nashville SC
- Orlando City Hosts Nashville SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals
- Kickoff Time Announced for Orlando City Friendly against Arsenal FC
- Orlando City Falls 1-0 On the Road to FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Travels to Take on FC Cincinnati