LAFC Suffers First Home Loss of 2022, Fall 2-1 to Austin FC
LAFC suffered its first home loss of the 2022 MLS season, falling 2-1 to Austin FC at Banc of California Stadium. Despite the defeat, LAFC is now tied with Austin for first place in the Western Conference with a 7-3-2 record for 23 points.
After a pair of early LAFC chances, Austin FC opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Ruben Gabrielsen collected a pass inside the penalty area and scored from eight yards out. The score would remain that way until the 80th minute when Diego Fagundez doubled the visitors' lead.
LAFC pulled a goal back in the 86th minute when Carlos Vela converted a penalty kick after being pulled down inside the box. In second half stoppage time, LAFC nearly earned a second penalty kick, only for the claim to be denied on video review.
The Black & Gold will be back in action on Saturday, May 21 when they head back on the road to face Columbus Crew SC. That game will kick off at 12:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast nationally on UniMás, TUDN, Twitter (English audio) and locally on ESPN 710 AM, ESPN LA App, and 980 AM La Mera La Mera.
LAFC will host a virtual and in-person media day on Friday, May 20 at approximately 11:10 a.m. PT with head coach Steve Cherundolo and select LAFC players.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2022
- Limited Tickets Still Available for LA Galaxy's May 22 Home Match against Houston Dynamo FC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire for Week 12 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Seek Fifth-Straight Win, Return Home to Host the New England Revolution - FC Cincinnati
- Lowe and Callender Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Allstate Insurance Company - Philadelphia Union
- Stuver, Gabrielsen, Driussi, Josh Wolff Earn MLS Team of the Week Honors - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Unified Team Roster - FC Dallas
- Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches against Charlotte FC - New York City FC
- Sporting Director Zoran Krneta Assesses Team's Season Thus Far, What's to Come and Chelsea FC Match - Charlotte FC
- Five Points: Bright Start - New York City FC
- CF Montréal to Retire Number 12 on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- NYCFC Partners with Crest and Oral-B to Help Close America's Smile Gap - New York City FC
- Audi Field in Conjunction with the Capitol Riverfront BID Present "Movies on the Pitch" - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF to Host FC Barcelona at DRV PNK Stadium on July 19 - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Suffers First Home Loss of 2022, Fall 2-1 to Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Defeat Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Beats LAFC 2-1 to Reclaim Top Spot in MLS Standings - Austin FC
- 'Caps Finish Home Stand With Comeback Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 1-1 Draw on the Road against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Wins 1-0 over Houston Dynamo FC in Midweek Action at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Falls 2-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 23 Matches Across All Competitions with 2-1 Win over CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Earns 2-1 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Fall 1-0 to Seattle Sounders FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Point at Home against Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- Callender: Ã¢ÂÂI Really Think We Have a Group That Is Going to Go the DistanceÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.