Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2
The Medicine Hat Tigers took the first game of the home and home series against the Lethbridge Hurricanes 4-2.
Ryan Chyzowski, Tyler Preziuso and Cole Clayton combined on two goals late in the final frame to secure the victory for the Orange and Black. It was the first time in the season series between these two clubs where the home team did not win.
Hurricanes forward Jake Elmer scored in the first period, but after a review of the play, the goal was called off. Both teams headed to the dressing room after 20 minutes of play tied 0-0.
Early in the middle stanza, Hurricanes defenceman Calen Addison scored from the point to officially claim the lead for the home team.
Midway through that period, David Quenneville fired in a shot that bounced off Hurricanes goaltender Logan Flodell before hitting Josh Williams and going into the net. Quenneville and Kristians Rubins picked up the assists on Williams' 11th goal of the season and brought the game to a 1-1 tie.
Sixteen seconds into the final frame, James Hamblin sent a cross ice pass to Bryan Lockner who tapped the puck into the wide open net to give the Tabbies their first lead of the night.
Hurricanes Captain Jordy Bellerive responded for the home team and brought the game back to a stalemate midway through the period.
Near the end of the game, Preziuso and Clayton combined to set up Chyzowski to score the game winning goal.
Hurricanes pulled netminder Flodell to try to tie the game back up late in the game with an extra offensive push, but the Tigers gained puck possession and Preziuso fired the puck into the empty net to secure the 4-2 victory. Clayton and Chyzowski assisted on the play.
Tigers veteran netminder Michael Bullion made a handful of exception saves and stopped 28 of the 30 shots he faced. Flodell turned aside 35 of the Tabbies' 38 shots.
The Orange and Black went 6/6 on the penalty kill but also went 0/3 on the power play.
The Tigers are now 36-27-8-0 and will return home to host the Hurricanes for the second half of the home and home series and their final home game of regular season. Tomorrow night's contest will also be Fan Appreciation Night with many prizes to be won, tickets are still available and the game starts at 7:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.