Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats finished the regular season with a 3-2 overtime loss in Swift Current on Saturday night. Regina opened the scoring when Aaron Hyman put home a rebound for his third of the year. The Broncos tied it up 48 seconds later and it was 1-1 after one. The Pats regained the lead in the second when Jared Legien ripped a shot from the right circle into the top of the net for his 23rd. Again the Broncos tied it and it was a 2-2 game after two. The third remained 2-2 in the third and with eight minutes left, a glass issue resulted in a long break where both teams went back to their dressing rooms. When it was finally resolved, the clubs finished regulation and went to overtime tied at two. 32 seconds into the extra frame Tyler Steenbergen won it for the Broncos in a 3-2 final. Swift Current outshot Regina 34-32 in the win, the Regina powerplay was one for four and the penalty kill four for four. The Pats (40-25-6-1) will kick off their first round playoff series against Swift Current on the road on Friday. Game time is 7 p.m. on 620 CKRM.
Regina - Aaron Hyman (3) from Jake Leschyshyn and Austin Pratt - 17:51.
Swift Current - Kaden Elder (18) from Matter Gennaro and Connor Horning - 18:37.
Regina - Jared Legien (23) from Matt Bradley and Ryan Kubic - 12:27 PP.
Swift Current - Beck Malenstyn (17) from Jacson Alexander and Tyler Steenbergen - 14:45.
Swift Current - Tyler Steenbergen (47) from Artyom Minulin - 0:32
Shots on Goal
Regina 15-11-6-0-(32) Swift Current 13-8-12-1-(34)
Regina 1/4 Swift Current 0/4
- Mat Bradley finishes his final regular season with a career high in points with 79.
- Ryan Kubic made 31 saves in his return from a lower body injury.
- Sam Steel, Josh Mahura, Libor Hajek, Cameron Hebig, Max Paddock and Koby Morrisseau all did not play in the contest.
The Pats will kick off their first round playoff series against Swift Current on the road on Friday. Game time is 7 p.m. on 620 CKRM. Single game tickets for games three and four of the series will go on sale Tuesday at 12 p.m. at reginapats.com and the Brandt Centre Box office.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.