Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades
Prince Albert, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders (32-26-9-4) led for the majority of the game, but lost 2-1 to the Saskatoon Blades (34-33-3-1) on Friday night at the Art Hauser Centre in the regular season home finale.
The regulation loss stopped the Raiders' 11-game point streak that catapulted them over the Blades for the final playoff spot.
The Raiders took the lead late in the first period. Parker Kelly fought off Kirby Dach on a shorthanded rush and snapped it past Tyler Brown to give the Raiders a 1-0 lead after the first period.
The two teams showed why they were such intense rivals in the second period. The hitting picked up leading to fights between Justin Nachbaur and Jake Kustra, and Kody McDonald and Mark Rubinchik.
The third period only upped the intensity. Kustra and McDonald squared off in the period, followed by offsetting penalties assessed to Brandon Machado and Regan Nagy for interference and roughing, respectively.
Late in the game, the Blades got their first puck past Ian Scott. Off of a faceoff in the Raiders' zone after Prince Albert was put down two men, Max Gerlach beat the Toronto Maple Leafs draft pick with 5:23 to play.
The Blades took the lead with 1:41 to play. With Carson Miller in the box for tripping, Chase Wouters went off the far post and in to put Saskatoon ahead for good.
Scott finished the game with 20 saves in a losing effort. Brown stopped 24 shots to pick up the win for Saskatoon.
The Raiders close out the regular season schedule on Saturday night in Saskatoon against the Blades. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
After the game, the Raiders will turn their attention to the Moose Jaw Warriors for their opening round series in the WHL Playoffs. The series begins on Friday night in Moose Jaw. Playoff packages are available now. Single game tickets go on sale on Wednesday morning at 9 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Raiders Win Wild Finale of Subway Hub Centre in Overtime
- Raiders Fall to ICE in their Second Last Game of the Subway Hub Centre
- Raiders Pick Up Point in Overtime Loss to Wheat Kings
- Raiders to Wear Specialty Jerseys in Support of Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Raiders Shut Out Blades in Season Series Finale