Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs dropped their fourth game in a row in their regular season home finale on Friday night, 2-1 to the visiting Tri-City Americans.
The Chiefs, who were without forwards Kailer Yamamoto and Zach Fischer, struggled to find the back of the net despite firing 35 shots on goal. Eli Zummack scored Spokane's lone goal, deflecting a Riley Woods shot midway through the third period for his 15th goal of the season.
Michael Rasmussen led the Americans with a goal and an assist, opening the scoring with a deflection goal at 8:40 of the second. Rasmussed assisted on Jusso Valimaki's 14th of the year under a minute into the third period to put Tri-City up 2-0.
Bailey Brkin, making his first start in goal since being recalled by the Chiefs earlier in the week, saved 28 of 30 shots on the night. Tri-City's Patrick Dea went 36-for-37 for Tri-City to earn first star honors. Spokane ended the night 1-for-5 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Chiefs and Americans will meet again Saturday night in Kennewick before the Chiefs finish their regular season schedule at Portland on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Fight Hunger Week Nets over 16,000 Meals for Local Families
- Beaupit's Big Night Not Enough as Chiefs Fall 3-0 to Seattle in Season Finale
- Power Play Struggles as Chiefs Fall to Portland, 5-1
- Chiefs Drop First Game of Final Weekend, 5-1 at Everett
- Americans Claim 4-3 OT Victory in Chiefs' Home Finale