Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night
Brandon, MB. - An exciting night is in store for western Manitoba hockey fans tonight as the Brandon Wheat Kings and Westoba Place will host the Western Hockey League club's Annual Awards Night when they play host to the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors.
Tonight's game will not only bring the curtain down on the Wheat Kings' 2017-18 season, it will be the second of a weekend home and home weekend series between the two teams.
Brandon edged the league leading Warriors 6-5 on Friday night to improve to 39-27-3-2 on the season.
Brandon is off to the WHL playoffs for the fifth straight season and for the 17th time in the last eighteen years and will meet the Medicine Hat Tigers in the best of seven Eastern Conference Quarterfinal.
As for tonight, the Victoria Inn presents the annual Awards Night, with trophies to be handed out before, during and immediately following the game.
In addition, there will be a special presentation made to Brandon's graduating 20-year olds - goalkeeper Logan Thompson, right-winger Evan Weinger and captain James Shearer. Entering their final WHL games this weekend, Weinger, who played his first three seasons in Portland had 67 goals and 145 points in 249 career games. Meanwhile Shearer, who began his junior career with the Manitoba Junior Hockey League's Steinbach Pistons, had thirteen goals and 50 points in 164 career games while Thompson had compiled a 3.26 goals against average, a .905 save percentage and four shutouts in 122 appearances.
Following is a program for Saturday night's Awards:
BEFORE THE GAME:
Maggie Janz Memorial Scholarship
McDonalds Frank King Most Community Minded Player
MazerGroup 3 Stars Trophy
Presentation to the Overage Players
BEFORE START OF THE 2nd PERIOD:
Canad Inns Hardest Working Player
Keystone Centre Most Sportsmanlike Player
Shoppers Drug Mart Fans Choice Award
BEFORE START OF THE 3rd PERIOD:
Precision Toyota Unsung Hero Award
Manitoba Hydro Turk Broda Top Manitoba Born
Coca Cola Rob Stouffer Most Inspirational Player
UCT Dennis Truscott Most Improved Player
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE GAME:
Brandon Sun Scoring Champion Trophy
Regent Custom Cresting Art Marshall Top Graduating
MNP Rookie of the Year
Brad McCrimmon Defenceman of the Year
Meighen Haddad Most Valuable Player
Ticket sales for tonight have been brisk. To order yours before they're "sold out" visit the Keystone Centre box office, call (204) 726-3555 or order online at keystonecentre.com
Tickets to Brandon's first two playoff home games in Dauphin are also on sale this weekend at the Keystone Centre box office.
Games three and four of the series will be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 27th and 28th.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brandon Wheat Kings Stories
- Wheat Kings and Rebels Complete One for One Deal
- Schneider Named to Team Canada for 2021 IIHF WHC
- Kia CHL Top-10 Spotlight: Wheat Kings Claim East Division Banner
- Brandon Wheat Kings Claim Subway Cup as 2020-21 WHL East Division Champions
- April 28 Preview: Blades vs Wheat Kings 5 PM