Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats picked up a seventh straight win on Friday night, 3-2 in overtime over the Swift Current Broncos at the Brandt Centre. With the win, the Pats will take on Swift Current in round one of the playoffs. After a scoreless first, the Broncos opened the scoring with a power play goal early in the second. The Pats got it back with a power play goal of their own from Sam Steel, his 33rd of the season to tie it 1-1. Jared Legien then gave Regina the lead with his 22nd and it was 2-1 after 40 minutes. In the third, Swift Current drew even with another power play goal and that forced overtime. In the extra frame, Nick Henry buried his 14th on a great move to the backhand and the Pats took the extra point in a 3-2 final. Regina was outshot 33-32, the power play went one for four and the penalty kill six for eight. Matt Bradley led the offence with two assists while Max Paddock made 31 saves. The Pats (40-25-5-1) will close out the regular season Saturday on the road against the Swift Current Broncos. Game time is 7 p.m. on 620 CKRM.
Swift Current - Matteo Gennaro (42) from Giorgio Estephan and Artyom Minulin - 3:33 PP.
Regina - Sam Steel (33) from Josh Mahura and Matt Bradley - 5:12. 4v3 PP.
Regina - Jared Legien (22) from Brady Pouteau and Liam Schioler - 14:06.
Swift Current - Artyom Minulin (13) from Matteo Gennaro and Glenn Gawdin - 12:59 PP.
Regina - Nick Henry (14) from Matt Bradley and Libor Hajek - 2:59.
Shots on Goal
Regina 9-13-8-2-(32) Swift Current 14-7-10-2-(33)
Regina 1/4 Swift Current 2/8
- The Pats will take on the Swift Current Broncos in round one of the playoffs.
- Sam Steel extended his point streak to 12 games, has 12 goals and 10 assists in that stretch.
- The Pats have won 11 of their last 12 games.
The Pats will close out the regular season Saturday on the road against the Swift Current Broncos. Game time is 7 p.m. on 620 CKRM. Single game tickets for round one of the playoffs will go on sale Tuesday at 12 p.m. at reginapats.com and the Brandt Centre Box office.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2018
- Pats Fall in OT to Complete Regular Season - Regina Pats
- Raiders Comeback Falls Short In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Clobbers Edmonton in Penultimate Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Hurricanes vs. Rebels Series Schedule Set - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Day Preview: Blades Looking to Close out Season on Winning Note - Saskatoon Blades
- Jersey Draw March 17 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 72 vs. Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tonight Is Wheat Kings' Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 17 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors; Playoff Matchup Set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Regular Season in Swift Current Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Fall 5-2 to the Rockets; Will Start the Playoffs Friday in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Rivalry Renewed, Broncos Edged by Pats in Playoff Preview - Swift Current Broncos
- Glass' Career Night Lifts Hawks to Blowout Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Secure Second Seed in BC Division Despite Loss to Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Giants Announce First Round Playoff Dates against Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders in Feisty Friday Affair - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs; Tickets on Sale Now - Victoria Royals
- Broncos, Pats to Renew Hostilities in First Round of 2018 WHL Playoffs - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Get Help from Tigers, But Fail to Help Themselves - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Drop Home Finale to Americans, 2-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Past Hurricanes 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Use OT to Win Seventh Straight - Regina Pats
- Raiders Drop Home Finale To Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.