Thunder Use Three Straight Goals to Sink Mariners 3-2
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Adirondack Thunder used two goals from James Henry and 31 saves from Alex Sakellaropoulos to help take down the Maine Mariners 3-2 on Wednesday night at Cool Insuring Arena.
After Mariners defenseman Brycen Martin gave Maine a 1-0 lead, Thunder forward Peter MacArthur tied the game at 17:19 of the opening period. Adirondack had great puck movement on the man advantage, and after MacArthur rang a shot off the iron earlier, he finished a one-timer off a beautiful spinning drop-pass from Kevin Lough. The score was MacArthur's sixth of the season while Lough and Shane Conacher collected the helpers.
It was the James Henry show to start the second period as the Thunder captain scored a pair of goals just two minutes apart in the middle frame. First, Henry gave the Thunder a lead with a shorthanded tally when he faked going behind the Maine net and snuck out in front with a quick move to beat Mariners goalie Connor LaCouvee. Mike Szmatula set Henry up with a great forecheck before the sixth-year pro went far side for a 2-1 Thunder lead.
Henry's second goal was a little unorthodox but they all count the same. After MacArthur took a tour of the Adirondack offensive zone, he slid a pass to Blake Thompson at the right point. Thompson fired a slap-shot looking for a deflection and instead got two. Jakob Reichert got a redirection with his stick and the puck proceeded to hit Henry on the leg in front of the net and trickle in for a 3-1 Adirondack advantage.
Former Thunder forward Terrence Wallin brought the Mariners within a goal at 7:27 of the third period when he chipped a backhand shot over Sakellaropoulos' shoulder. It was Wallin's fourth score of the season in his first game since being sent down from the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack.
Sakellaropoulos shut the door the rest of the way to preserve the Thunder victory as they ended their three-game skid on home ice. The former Union College goalie finished the night with 31 saves, saving his best effort for early in the third period when he paddled a puck away that was sitting on the red line to keep what was then a two-goal Thunder lead.
LaCouvee was impressive for Maine as he finished the night with a whopping 40 saves.
The two sides will meet again Friday evening, this time from Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, ME. Adirondack will return home after the rematch to take on the Brampton Beast Saturday night back in Glens Falls. Saturday is the Thunder's annual coat drive as well as the first post-game skate of the season, presented by Glens Falls Hospital. For the most up-to-date Thunder news, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter (@ECHLThunder).
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward Peter MacArthur celebrates a goal
Jakob Reichert of the Adirondack Thunder in front of the Maine Mariners' net
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 5, 2018
- Appleby Stops 45 Shots in Loss to Florida - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Unbeaten Streak Ends with Loss to Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Use Three Straight Goals to Sink Mariners 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Can't Complete Rally at Adirondack - Maine Mariners
- Railers Tie Score with Five Seconds Left But Fall in OT 3-2 to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Teddy Bear Toss Set for Friday, December 21 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Dominate Admirals, 5-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Cyclones Have Successful Matinee Fishing Trip to Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Elgin Pearce Assigned to Steelheads from AHL Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Gasper Kopitar Announces Retirement - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - December 5 - ECHL
- Jam Packed Homestand Highlighted by Marvel Super Hero Night - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Honor Heroes Friday with Sport Clips Military Night - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 5, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Teddy Bear Toss Returns this Saturday - South Carolina Stingrays
- Michael Garteig Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Newfoundland Growlers
- Taylor Signs PTO with San Antonio - Kalamazoo Wings
- Newfoundland's Garteig Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Tulsa's Fitzpatrick Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Evan Fitzpatrick Wins ECHL Rookie of the Month - Tulsa Oilers
- Pasquale Becomes 21st Gladiator to Play in the NHL - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stukel, Cuddemi Push Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Snap Skid with Shootout Triumph over Kansas City - Indy Fuel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final
- Logan Thompson Signs PTO with Binghamton Devils