Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers
WORCESTER, MA - The Adirondack Thunder put a season-high 48 shots on goal but fell to the Worcester Railers by a score of 3-2 on Friday night at the DCU Center.
The Thunder found themselves down by one just 4:44 into the game. Ross Olsson's wrist shot beat Adirondack netminder Eamon McAdam for his first of the night and seventh of the season.
Adirondack got the equalizer at the 14:18 mark when Casey Pierro-Zabotel forced the puck to Charlie Curti. Curti wound up from the blue line and got the puck on net. Buitenhuis made the initial save but Nikita Popugaev potted the rebound for his fifth of the season.
In the second period, Adirondack's Alex Carrier fired the puck over the glass and went to the penalty box for a delay of game infraction. James Phelan broke up a pass at the blue line and raced into the zone on a breakaway, beating Buitenhuis in the process for his first as a member of the Thunder at 5:58.
The Railers tied the game with just 1:16 to go in the second. Yanick Turcotte found Ross Olsson in front and Olsson snuck a wrist shot past McAdam for his second of the game.
6:02 into the third, Barry Almeida started a rush into the Adirondack zone and fed Kyle Thomas on a 2-on-1 to put the Railers ahead 3-2.
Adirondack had a lengthy powerplay towards the end of the third but could not beat Evan Buitenhuis who made 46 saves on 48 shots. The Thunder's powerplay finished 0-for-6 and the penalty kill went 2-for-2.
The Thunder face the Maine Mariners tomorrow night in Portland. Puck drop is scheduled for 6:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2020
- Quenneville Ties History as Rush Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Rally to Earn Point, But Fall to Indy in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Gain a Point against West's Best in Texas - Kalamazoo Wings
- Christopher Brown Recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Rip 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Big Third Period Pushes Greenville Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn First Shootout Win over Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Unable to Complete Comeback in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Stifle Rays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Drop Third Straight One Goal Game - Maine Mariners
- Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in 3-2 Home Win over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Toronto Marlies Sign Growlers Goaltender Parker Gahagen to AHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Brings Back Merasty - Wichita Thunder
- Jimmy Huntington Reassigned to Syracuse Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Officials Named for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Officials Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Royals Conclude First Half with Country Night Matchup against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Weekend Preview: Growlers VS Maine & Worcester - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.