Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2
The Newfoundland Growlers extended their overall winning streak to 7 straight games with a gutsy 3-2 victory over the Maine Mariners at the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine.
After a hectic travel day that left the Growlers arriving at Cross Insurance Arena 90 minutes prior to puck drop, the Maine Mariners found the scoreboard first when Dillan Fox jumped on a rebound and tucked it behind Growlers goalie Parker Gahagen. The Growlers tied the game later in the frame as Giorgio Estephan blasted a wrist shot from the top of the circle into the back of the Mariners net.
The Mariners responded in the second period after Alex Kile made good on an odd-man break. In the latter half of the second period, the Growlers offence stepped up and blasted two goals past Mariners goaltender Conner LaCouvee, the first from Trey Bradley followed by Justin Brazeau who registered his 14th goal of the season.
The Growlers held onto their 3-2 lead as Parker Gahagen stood tall, stopping all off the Mariners 13 attempts in the third period to secure the Growlers seventh straight victory.
Parker Gahagen signed an AHL contract with the Toronto Marlies prior to the start of the game.
James Melindy returned to the Growlers lineup after a lengthy stint on injured reserve.
The three stars were 3 - D. Fox (MNE), 2 - P. Gahagen (NFL) and 1 - T. Bradley (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers travel to Worcester to take on the Railers tomorrow, January 11th. Puck drop is 8:35 p.m. Listen live on ECHL.TV or tune into the Growlers internet radio broadcast at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Newfoundland Growlers (25-10-0-0) at Maine Mariners (17-15-0-1)
Friday, January 10th - Cross Insurance Arena - Portland, Maine
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st MNE 1:01 D. Fox (14) T. Ronning, G. Chase V 9 10 22 36 43 H 5 10 13 17 20
1 - 1 2 1st NFL 17:23 G. Estephan (14) M. Power PP V 9 10 21 22 29 H 6 8 12 22
1 - 2 3 2nd MNE 3:16 A. Kile (8) T. Wallin, C. LaCouvee V 3 21 26 27 29 H 12 20 22 23 92
2 - 2 4 2nd NFL 11:33 T. Bradley (6) R. Woods V 13 14 17 36 43 H 6 7 8 21 26
3 - 2 5 2nd NFL 18:31 J. Brazeau (14) R. Woods, T. Bradley V 3 13 14 17 21 H 5 7 13 17 27
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2020
- Quenneville Ties History as Rush Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Rally to Earn Point, But Fall to Indy in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Gain a Point against West's Best in Texas - Kalamazoo Wings
- Christopher Brown Recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Rip 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Big Third Period Pushes Greenville Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn First Shootout Win over Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Unable to Complete Comeback in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Stifle Rays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Drop Third Straight One Goal Game - Maine Mariners
- Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in 3-2 Home Win over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Toronto Marlies Sign Growlers Goaltender Parker Gahagen to AHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Brings Back Merasty - Wichita Thunder
- Jimmy Huntington Reassigned to Syracuse Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Officials Named for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Officials Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Royals Conclude First Half with Country Night Matchup against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Weekend Preview: Growlers VS Maine & Worcester - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Bring Academy to Labrador
- Growlers Add Bob Hunter for New Mile One Centre Proposal
- Growlers Launch Website Highlighting Plans for Mile One Centre
- MEDIA RELEASE: Growlers to Opt-Out of 2020-21 ECHL Season
- Growlers Announce Book Chronicling Championship Season