Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win
Reading, PA - Thomas Ebbing tallied a career-best three points (2g), the Reading Royals ripped 44 shots on cage and the team defeated the Wheeling Nailers, 5-2, Friday at Santander Arena. The Royals scored the game's first three goals, Wheeling tallied the next two and Reading added a pair of empty-net goals.
Ebbing scored the Royals' second goal on the power play late in the first period, recorded an assist and added his second goal on an empty-net strike to cement the 5-2 victory. Kirill Ustimenko stopped 23 shots for his 13th victory this season.
Forward Matthew Strome scored in the first period with a slap shot high in the left circle off a Matthew Guadreau feed seven minutes in.
Early in the second frame, Brayden Low stepped onto the ice and received a pass from Ebbing above the left circle before flinging the puck past Emil Larmi (loss, 3 GA, 39 svs.) to make it 3-0.
Wheeling forward Graham Knott slapped a power-play shot past Ustimenko early in the second period before Alec Butcher made it 3-2 while short-handed five minutes later.
Steven Swavely (1g, 1a) scored the first of two empty-net goals to give Reading insurance late in the third period.
Lots of Shots
The Royals fired the puck early and often, recording 19 shots by the end of the opening 20 minutes. Reading took 34 shots in the first two periods, followed by ten in the final frame.
Friday's 44 shots were the second-most in a game this season. This is the ninth time all season the Royals have attempted at least 40 shots.
Jeremy Beaudry and Corey Mackin led skaters with six shots each while Strome recorded five, including the opening goal. Fourteen skaters had at least a shot on goal.
Forward Hayden Hodgson (1a) returned to the lineup Friday after missing 24 games with injury. Prior to the injury, Hodgson had recorded seven points (5g, 2a) and 11 penalty minutes in 11 games.
On his assist, Hodgson weaved into the zone, drew all four Wheeling defenders and found an open Ebbing in the shot for his first point since Nov. 13 at Worcester.
The Royals will travel to Worcester to play the Railers on Jan. 12 at 3:05 p.m. Reading then has a five-day break to prepare for a five-game homestand against Adirondack, Worcester, and Newfoundland.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Upcoming Home Games: royalshockey.com/promotions
Fri Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Adirondack (4-for-$48 game | Opioid Awareness Night): 4 tickets, 4 sodas and 4 burgers for $48 by calling 610-898-7825 | $1 Sprite beverage special | Toiletry Drive | DVD Drive
Sun., Jan. 19 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester ($1 Deal Day): $1 Hot Dogs, $1 Nachos, $1 Sodas | $2 Kids Tickets (12 and younger) | 1 free Applebee's Meal and free kids ticket if you present a report card with an "A" grade on it
Mon., Jan. 20 at 1:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kids Jersey Giveaway | MLK Day): First 1,000 kids receive a kids jersey | Free Parking from Reading Parking Authority | Kids are off from school on MLK Day | 1 kids ticket, 1 guaranteed kids jersey, 1 hat, 1 Applebee's kids meal ($15) | Kids Club Game| Postgame team meet-and-greet on the ice
About the Royals
The Royals are in their 19th ECHL season and are proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs 14 times, and are four-time division champions. The Berks County Convention Center Authority (BCCCA), founded in 1996, owns the Royals and oversees operations at Santander Arena and the Santander Arena Performing Arts Center.
Listen to all Royals broadcasts at Mixlr.com/ReadingRoyals or by downloading the Mixlr App from the App Store or Google Play. All Royals away games are broadcasted on BCTV (Ch. 15 Comcast, Ch. 19 Service Electric) and Mixlr.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2020
- Quenneville Ties History as Rush Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Rally to Earn Point, But Fall to Indy in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Gain a Point against West's Best in Texas - Kalamazoo Wings
- Christopher Brown Recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Rip 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Big Third Period Pushes Greenville Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn First Shootout Win over Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Unable to Complete Comeback in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Stifle Rays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Drop Third Straight One Goal Game - Maine Mariners
- Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in 3-2 Home Win over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Toronto Marlies Sign Growlers Goaltender Parker Gahagen to AHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Brings Back Merasty - Wichita Thunder
- Jimmy Huntington Reassigned to Syracuse Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Officials Named for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Officials Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Royals Conclude First Half with Country Night Matchup against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Weekend Preview: Growlers VS Maine & Worcester - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce First-Ever Virtual Pink in the Rink Game Presented by Met-Ed
- Reading Royals Proudly Announce 20 Recipient Businesses of Its Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Plan
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021